Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community

Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community (http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/)
-   Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR (http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f45/)
-   -   Blue tang. (http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f45/blue-tang-236350.html)

Benwolfe 12-04-2012 05:33 PM

Blue tang.

1 Attachment(s)
Yesterday I brought home an anemone and a baby blue tang. Everything seemed to be going ok before I went to bed last night. This morning the blue tang was gone. I've been looking for hours. Even moved some rocks to see if it got stuck somewhere. Is it possible the anemone ate it. I also have 2 small clowns, diamond goby, 6 line, some snails and crabs too.

Horsegirlmaddy 12-04-2012 06:57 PM

I can't say anything about the anemone, but I had a very large cichlid disappear from my freshwater tank before. I removed every single decoration in the tank, and couldn't find him. I thought t would be impossible for him to escape through the <2" gap between the lid and the tank which also held the large tubes of the cannister filter. But I checked around the room everywhere, and finally found my dried up cichlid in a bag of aquarium supplies :'(

Flaxon-Waxon 12-04-2012 07:19 PM

How big is your tank?

Benwolfe 12-04-2012 07:21 PM

It's a 40. I know that it's small. But I was going to keep it for a while then trade it for different fish later down the road

The blue tang was only an inch in size

Flaxon-Waxon 12-04-2012 07:22 PM

How big was the fish?

Flaxon-Waxon 12-04-2012 07:27 PM

Ohhhh... The Regal Blue tangs will sometimes lie down on their side when stressed. You sure he isn't behind a rock or sometjing?

Benwolfe 12-04-2012 07:29 PM

I've looked everywhere. I even moved rocks. Now rear you say that, I wonder if the diamond goby buried it

I mean. Now that you say that

Mr. Crabs 12-04-2012 07:32 PM

I would take the same guess that the baby blue tang swam into a hungry anemone. The little ones are especially naive when it comes to figuring out what to stay away from. The stress of an unfamiliar environment probably led to an expensive meal for the nem.

Not to rub salt in the wound, but I realize baby blue tangs are practically irresistable, but they get huge fast and need a good deal of room to stretch their fins.

Close confines and an active swimmer are a recipe for disaster with an Anemone. Looks like a Sebae

cashmoney6980 12-06-2012 04:56 PM

Very pretty nem! I actually seen one exactly like that at my local Petco, and they had it labeled as a condy nem.. But petcos rarely right on about anything lol. And plus, they had it labeled for $8.50!! The only thing that kept me from buying it was the condition of all their fish is extremely poor there, and I don't buy anything from them besides supplies for that reason. But I digress... Good luck on finding the tang!

Benwolfe 12-06-2012 07:18 PM

It's gone.