Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community

Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community (http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/)
-   Saltwater Reef Aquaria (http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f11/)
-   -   Jordan's 55 Gallon Reef! (http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f11/jordans-55-gallon-reef-240033.html)

jmay33 01-02-2013 06:34 PM

I am starting my first large aquarium! As the title states, it is a 55 gallon long tank. I have anAquatop CF400UV 4-stage canister filter with UV 9W, 370 gph. My lights are AquaticLife T5 HO, dual lamp, 10,000K, 420/460nm. 300 watt heater. I'm planning on at least doubling the number of lights so I can have harder corals. I'm planning on cycling first with some hermit crabs and then adding 3 blue green chromis. The tank still needs some cleaning but here is a picture! I will post updates along the way because I will probably have a lot of questions. :) thank you in advance!


http://www.aquariumadvice.com/attach...2a200693e5.jpg

Edit: I will also be adding a powerhead and protein skimmer. So, suggestions and info on those things would be much appreciated!

jmay33 01-05-2013 10:44 PM

Does anyone know if I need all of my live rock to start my cycle? Or can I buy a little and add on during my cycle?

Phranque 01-05-2013 11:22 PM

I would put in all your live rock up front for your cycle. If you do a little at a time, each successive batch will have to be cured before putting it in the tank, which can be a real PITA.... unless you plan on adding dry rock.

jmay33 01-05-2013 11:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phranque (Post 2268302)
I would put in all your live rock up front for your cycle..... If you do a little at a time, each successive batch will have to be cured before putting it in the tank, which can be a real PITA.

Awesome. Thanks. I'm pretty new to saltwater and it's hard to be patient, but I want everything to be done right. It's hard. Lol.

Phranque 01-05-2013 11:31 PM

Patience is one of the hardest parts, but you will learn it one way or another.... unfortunately, many learn it through great expense.

jmay33 01-06-2013 12:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phranque (Post 2268325)
Patience is one of the hardest parts, but you will learn it one way or another.... unfortunately, many learn it through great expense.

I'm trying really not to learn through expense. Lol. I'm impatient enough for it to happen. Maybe with your warning I won't. :)

jmay33 01-06-2013 08:42 PM

How long does it take rock to become live? I've heard that if I do 40% live rock and 60% dry rock it will only take a couple of months? I know that if I were to do this my cycle would be drastically slowed down. But if I did this could I still cycle with hermit crabs and shrimp? How do I know when all of it is live? Is there any way to know?

Edit: can you tell by the color? Or if it gets coralline algae?

Sorry for all of the questions. I bought an established nano as my first saltwater, so this is my first saltwater cycle. I want to do it exactly right.

jmay33 01-08-2013 11:00 PM

A really awesome friend of a friend gave me a lot of live rock (50 lbs) today! I will probably get to start cycling soon! :)

Anyone have a suggestion on a good, cost-effective protein skimmer?

obscurereef 01-08-2013 11:13 PM

Unfortunately skimmers aren't on the cheap side. If something looks too good to be true (really cheap) it probably is. I remember someone bought a $50 skimmer on eBay and it was crap, waste of money, and they ended up investing in a good quality one anyway. Cheapest would be to make your own skimmer although it's not the most attractive sight to see in the DT.

jmay33 01-08-2013 11:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by obscurereef (Post 2274211)
Unfortunately skimmers aren't on the cheap side. If something looks too good to be true (really cheap) it probably is. I remember someone bought a $50 skimmer on eBay and it was crap, waste of money, and they ended up investing in a good quality one anyway. Cheapest would be to make your own skimmer although it's not the most attractive sight to see in the DT.

What would you suggest?


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:44 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.