Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community

Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community (http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/)
-   Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR (http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f45/)
-   -   Super... nuisance anemone :\ (http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f45/super-nuisance-anemone-265372.html)

TangoTank 06-08-2013 11:40 PM

Super... nuisance anemone :\

Super... nuisance anemone :\

I will take a pic tomorrow w/ my DSLR. From what I'm finding, it's probably Aiptasia. I bought my tank used w/ stock & live rock. It's my 1st marine aquarium. Was getting excited that it's just doing its own thing naturally... Could it come in on saltwater from the aquarium store or are there water parameters/conditions that would make this crop up?? This was a mature tank, I just moved it! Crazy. Love to hear the experienced chime in on this...

TangoTank 06-09-2013 05:20 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Here's a couple of pics:

1 photo w/ my iPh then edited & zoomed in. It went back into its hole very quickly as my shrimp crawled over it & took quite a bit of time before it came back out. Do I need to try to remove this now? Treat all my rock? Or just let them be & see how it goes?? LMK, Thks!!

Attachment 179204 Attachment 179202

Sniperhank 06-09-2013 05:33 PM

Came in on the rock. Nuke it with aiptasia-x. Don't let it go, they'll grow and overwhelm things.

TangoTank 06-09-2013 06:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sniperhank (Post 2510569)
Came in on the rock. Nuke it with aiptasia-x. Don't let it go, they'll grow and overwhelm things.

Thanks for your reply! This rock isn't new. I'm pretty sure the previous owners didn't do anything hands on like monitor this type of thing. Any thoughts on why it'd crop up now? I'd like to avoid it if I'm doing something that would encourage its growth. Can I pull the rock out & treat it? Being inexperienced, I'm afraid to add chemicals to the tank, is there anything more innocuous I could try like target-dosing it w/ high salinity hot water?

Zactheninja 06-09-2013 07:18 PM

You could get a peppermint shrimp, they eat glass anemones.
Might be a hit or miss though, I had 3 take out almost a whole tank full when I started salt, and the one in my current tank would touch one that came in on a frag.

Sniperhank 06-09-2013 08:18 PM

It is easier to just hit it with aiptasia-x. It won't hurt anything in the tank at all. If you want to take the rock out, pour boiling water over it and scrub it with a toothbrush and pour water over it again.

TangoTank 06-09-2013 08:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zactheninja (Post 2510676)
You could get a peppermint shrimp, they eat glass anemones.
Might be a hit or miss though, I had 3 take out almost a whole tank full when I started salt, and the one in my current tank would touch one that came in on a frag.

Thanks, I will think about that & research it further. I think I've read that somewhere. Wish my Scarlet would take care of it!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sniperhank (Post 2510752)
It is easier to just hit it with aiptasia-x. It won't hurt anything in the tank at all. If you want to take the rock out, pour boiling water over it and scrub it with a toothbrush and pour water over it again.

Thanks!! I will look into Aiptasia-X too. I found another 1 on the same rock, but haven't found any others. I know they could be hiding though!! The 2nd one isn't in a very lighted spot. Strange. They are so tiny & very hard to see, almost microscopic.

Sniperhank 06-09-2013 08:57 PM

They are small now...I had a pic of one a nudibranch in my lfs tank that is overwhelmed with them.

TangoTank 06-10-2013 08:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sniperhank (Post 2510813)
They are small now...I had a pic of one a nudibranch in my lfs tank that is overwhelmed with them.

I tried microwaved hot salted saltwater & a baby medicine dropper a few times into the open anemone. He still looks like he's doing well. I'll get the Aiptasia-X :\

Sniperhank 06-10-2013 08:36 PM

Yeah, when I support boiled water I mean boiling water on the stove and dropping the whole rock in.