Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community

Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community (http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/)
-   Saltwater Reef Aquaria (http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f11/)
-   -   Tank leaking, got a new tank, fastest cycle? (http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f11/tank-leaking-got-a-new-tank-fastest-cycle-267945.html)

Hondachico 06-28-2013 01:43 PM

Tank leaking, got a new tank, fastest cycle?

I have a 35g hex which started to leak not so long ago and I got a biocube off of Craig's and I wanted to see how fast I can transport my guys from the hex to the nano??

Gregcoyote 06-28-2013 02:36 PM

If you transport the sand and rocks, there may be very little cycling.

Hondachico 06-28-2013 03:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gregcoyote (Post 2537527)
If you transport the sand and rocks, there may be very little cycling.

I heard from someone once that sand isn't important, I was going to transfer rock and water with new sand, good bad idk??

scuba dude 06-28-2013 03:03 PM

If the cube is established save all the water , live rock , sand. Drain the water , rock into cooler transport and reset it in the new location. I left everything else alone and only needed to add around one gallon of water afterwords.

I did a 29 gallon cube 2 weeks ago and it worked perfect. 2 1/2 hours total time with a half hour drive between locations.

Hondachico 06-28-2013 03:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scuba dude (Post 2537556)
If the cube is established save all the water , live rock , sand. Drain the water , rock into cooler transport and reset it in the new location. I left everything else alone and only needed to add around one gallon of water afterwords.

I did a 29 gallon cube 2 weeks ago and it worked perfect. 2 1/2 hours total time with a half hour drive between locations.

Ok the problem is here, I have a 35g hex and now I also have a 29g cube the cube is dry and was dry for awhile, it was also used for fresh, and I need to transfer everything from the 35 to the cube.

scuba dude 06-28-2013 03:36 PM

Sorry , Guess I misunderstood what you were doing.

Would still think it would be fairly quick for you though. Hope it works out for you.

Hondachico 06-28-2013 03:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scuba dude (Post 2537594)
Sorry , Guess I misunderstood what you were doing.

Would still think it would be fairly quick for you though. Hope it works out for you.

It's ok I'm still trying to seek help, please anybody???

furrymurray 06-28-2013 04:01 PM

I helped my daughter switch out a broken 75 to a 125. The new tank had to go into the same spot so we broken 75 gallon down. Put fish and corals into large tubs with powerheads and heaters. Also put rocks into 5 gallon buckets with tank water. We threw out the sand because it smelled really bad when we scooped it out and just replaced it with new. And put everything back. Tanks was cloudy for a day or so but everything was fine

Hondachico 06-28-2013 06:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by furrymurray (Post 2537614)
I helped my daughter switch out a broken 75 to a 125. The new tank had to go into the same spot so we broken 75 gallon down. Put fish and corals into large tubs with powerheads and heaters. Also put rocks into 5 gallon buckets with tank water. We threw out the sand because it smelled really bad when we scooped it out and just replaced it with new. And put everything back. Tanks was cloudy for a day or so but everything was fine

How about water, what did u do with the water?

Gregcoyote 06-28-2013 07:04 PM

I would make up new water and use maybe use 1/4 old water. That way any bacterial matter suspended in the water will cross over and I think it helps "season" the water in the new tank. JIMO