Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community

Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community (http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/)
-   Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR (http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f45/)
-   -   New update on my tank (http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f45/new-update-on-my-tank-272747.html)

POLARBEAR0871 08-03-2013 04:36 PM

New update on my tank

I just got 6 danios yes ok they're territorial and yes I know that they nip at other fish I don't have any other fish in there yet but the guy said to keep them in there for 3-6 weeks to help cycle the tank

Bectan01 08-03-2013 06:57 PM

Cycling with fish is cruel to fish, (even nasty fish) the high levels of ammonia can hurt them and kill them. LFS recommend damsels because they are hardy and cheap. Not only are they nasty and territorial, they will be almost impossible to catch when you are done with them. Some bad advice from your LFS I think...

POLARBEAR0871 08-03-2013 11:50 PM

Or yeah damsels lol and he's owned a fish store for over 30yrs he knows my grandma he said they help cycle the tank faster and he said once I'm done with them he said to take them back and he'll give me half of what I payed for them

carey 08-04-2013 12:23 AM

Using live fish to cycle a tank was always the reccomended way to go BUT we have learned so much about the cycle itself it is now not needed. It is cruel and painful to the fish. They may or may not live through it. even if they are nasty ( they are lol) it's just not right.

Alot of things have changed over the years, i mean 20 years ago you could smoke in a hospital! We now know smoking causes cancer. Just like we now know the ammonia in a fish tank can kill fish. You can return the fish now and do a fishless cycle and just use a dead shrimp or even pure ammonia like I do. OR you can keep the fish and do ALOT of water changes to keep them alive and your cycle will be longer.

It's up to you in the end, but at least consider the safer to fish alternatives.

:-)

POLARBEAR0871 08-04-2013 04:26 PM

My LFS said that using live fish helps shorten the cycle he's been doing this for over 30yrs and he knows what he's doing my fish are still doing fine as of right now they're loving it especially the live rock

mr_X 08-04-2013 04:35 PM

That's not true. It does not help shorten any cycle. It doesn't matter how many years someone has been in the hobby. The old ways were discarded for the new ways.

Scouser 08-04-2013 05:21 PM

Cycling with fish is not cruel if you know what you're doing.

I've cycled every tank I've owned (and so have all my friends) using the fish in method.

With proper care and due diligence, it isn't any different from a fishless cycle.

Just a few more water changes lol.

POLARBEAR0871 08-04-2013 05:27 PM

Thank you

mr_X 08-04-2013 06:12 PM

Well, to cycle a tank is to introduce an ammonia source. With a cycle using fish, the fish make ammonia with their waste. This ammonia is poison to fish. I don't see how you can take care to not torture the fish seeing as they must swim in ammonia filled water.

POLARBEAR0871 08-04-2013 06:40 PM

All fish do they do in the ocean and there's a lot of ammonia there they're fine they swim in they're own waste all the time