Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community

Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community (http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/)
-   Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started (http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f14/)
-   -   question on my tank cycling evolve 8 nano (http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f14/question-on-my-tank-cycling-evolve-8-nano-281849.html)

Evo8 10-12-2013 12:22 AM

question on my tank cycling evolve 8 nano

Evolve 8 gallon nano

OK so my saltwater tank has been running for about 3 days now. I have I haven't seen an ammonia spike yet? Or any other for that fact..I currently have about 6lbs of live rock (adding 10 more lbs this week) I have some rubble rock in the return filter along with.cha..something..green planty stuff...unfortunately I have a pair of yellow tail damsel fish in there for cycling. Which I know now is the worse way to cycle a tank. ( I'll be gifting them to a buddy this weekend) but anyways how long before my tank starts cycling? Can I add more live rock mid cycle as I plan to? Thanks guys!

Evo8 10-12-2013 03:23 PM

Anyone?

Brad M 10-12-2013 03:40 PM

Did you use live sand as well? Are you getting any nitrate levels yet?

Evo8 10-12-2013 03:43 PM

I didn't use live sand..my LFS only had 25 lb bags I didn't even need half of that Lol and no nitrates..0across the board..I also *** bacteria in a bottle

Brad M 10-12-2013 05:07 PM

Hmm and the fish have been in all 3 days? I could understand enough BB in the live rocks to handle the ammonia and nitites but it should still end up with some nitrates. I would test it daily for another 72 hours and see.

Are you using a liquid or dip strip for testing?

Evo8 10-12-2013 10:18 PM

Yes sir, fish have beennin all three days..also im using api liquid test kit. Today I had no ammonia again..I have also been over feeding hoping this helps a bit. Could I be cycled?

Brad M 10-13-2013 07:19 AM

If you were cycled we should be seeing nitrate readings. Did you test that today

Evo8 10-14-2013 04:32 PM

Tested today and have 0 all the way across the board..wtf is going on? Lol

Brad M 10-14-2013 04:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Evo8 (Post 2686572)
Tested today and have 0 all the way across the board..wtf is going on? Lol

Guess we have to call it what it is... the mirical tank that never gets dirty lol.

Ok lets go over a few things again. How long have you had the test kit? Are we sure its not expired? Are you shaking the nitrate bottle 2 very well? The crystals needed for accurate results settle to the bottom. Are we waiting 5 min before reading the nitrate results?

Can you upload an image of all 3 test tubes?

Evo8 10-14-2013 04:55 PM

2 Attachment(s)
the test kit is good...almost new..I use it for my other tanks and it shows when my quality screwes up..

Heres the pics.. ammonia could be like
.10 Lol but nothing showing a cycle. the ammonia looks green under my flash however it is still yellow