Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community

Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community (http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/)
-   Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion (http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f12/)
-   -   Cleaning the caister (http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f12/cleaning-the-caister-282552.html)

aquaplantfish 10-17-2013 10:10 PM

Cleaning the caister

My red platy fish died after cleaning the eheim canister filter.

I dont know what I did wrong or If I should have even cleaned the filter after 6 month.

All my other fishes are fine.

I used the tank water to clean it and dumped the canister filter water out.

Pleas let me know how I should clean it or what to do next time and not to loose any fish.

Ian086 10-17-2013 10:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aquaplantfish (Post 2690284)
My red platy fish died after cleaning the eheim canister filter.

I dont know what I did wrong or If I should have even cleaned the filter after 6 month.

All my other fishes are fine.

I used the tank water to clean it and dumped the canister filter water out.

Pleas let me know how I should clean it or what to do next time and not to loose any fish.

6 months is a good time to clean it. It depends on your stock and stock levels. Was it really dirty??. The key is to use tank water, like you did but also to not let the filter media dry out. I use a bucket of tank water to put the media in as I clean it. It could be just a coincidence that fish died...

Cactuspixie 10-18-2013 05:55 AM

I agree that it is likely a coincidence. You must have a very low bioload- I'd have more mulm than media if I let mine go 6 months! If you cleaned the filter at the same time as a pwc,you may have inadvertently caused the ph to jump, and/or caused a mini cycle.

aquaplantfish 10-18-2013 10:39 AM

Ya I did pwc and also I think it was time for the fish caz I had that fish for 5 years

aquaplantfish 10-18-2013 11:03 AM

If its a mini cycle do I delay the pwc

Mebbid 10-18-2013 11:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cactuspixie (Post 2690526)
I agree that it is likely a coincidence. You must have a very low bioload- I'd have more mulm than media if I let mine go 6 months! If you cleaned the filter at the same time as a pwc,you may have inadvertently caused the ph to jump, and/or caused a mini cycle.

It's standard to clean filter media the same time as a Pac. If do e properly it should never cause a mini cycle and the pH change shouldn't be more than a normal change.

Quote:

Originally Posted by aquaplantfish (Post 2690632)
Ya I did pwc and also I think it was time for the fish caz I had that fish for 5 years

It's very likely that its unrelated if the fish was that old.

Quote:

Originally Posted by aquaplantfish (Post 2690657)
If its a mini cycle do I delay the pwc

No, if you test positive for ammonia above .25 then you definitely need to do a water change. The BB will sort itself out.

Rivercats 10-18-2013 01:44 PM

What is the size of your tank and it stock? Also do you test for nitrates? Reason I'm asking is because canister filters that aren't cleaned often enough cause a lot of nitrates in the tank due to the heavy detris load that builds up inside them. I mainly use all canister filters and clean them once a month.

aquaplantfish 10-18-2013 02:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rivercats (Post 2690831)
What is the size of your tank and it stock? Also do you test for nitrates? Reason I'm asking is because canister filters that aren't cleaned often enough cause a lot of nitrates in the tank due to the heavy detris load that builds up inside them. I mainly use all canister filters and clean them once a month.

40 gal

Baby red parrot
2 angel fish

I did nitrate test 3 month ago and it was 0

aquaplantfish 10-18-2013 02:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mebbid (Post 2690682)

It's standard to clean filter media the same time as a Pac. If do e properly it should never cause a mini cycle and the pH change shouldn't be more than a normal change.

It's very likely that its unrelated if the fish was that old.

No, if you test positive for ammonia above .25 then you definitely need to do a water change. The BB will sort itself out.

Ok sounds good I guess I'll watch what I'm doing carefully

aquaplantfish 10-18-2013 02:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rivercats (Post 2690831)

I guess I'll do once a month cleaning or alters try too