Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community

Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community (http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/)
-   Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started (http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f14/)
-   -   New 20 gal reef (http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f14/new-20-gal-reef-303472.html)

jjh302 03-22-2014 05:09 PM

New 20 gal reef
 
So I've decided to change my freshwater 20gallon tank over to saltwater. I'm getting ready to leave home and make the 3 hr trip up to that fish place in Lancaster pa and hope to find a small skimmer and filtration. Is there any products someone could recommend that are budget friendly for the transition. Do I need to use anything special to clean the tank with before I add sand and saltwater??

bribo12 03-22-2014 05:14 PM

Wait until next weekend. They have their annual sale then and a lot of stuf is really cheap.

jjh302 03-22-2014 05:22 PM

This is my only weekend free for the next few or else I'm all about waiting for a sale! Lol

BigRedsReefs10 03-22-2014 05:22 PM

I would soak/scrub the tank with a vinegar water solution. You don't "need" a skimmer if you don't want one, and an aqua clear filter would work great for you to run some media.

jjh302 03-22-2014 05:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigRedsReefs10 (Post 2887337)
I would soak/scrub the tank with a vinegar water solution. You don't "need" a skimmer if you don't want one, and an aqua clear filter would work great for you to run some media.


Which aquaclear do you suggest? And how about a power head? Size?

BigRedsReefs10 03-22-2014 06:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jjh302 (Post 2887347)
Which aquaclear do you suggest? And how about a power head? Size?


Honestly anything from the ac30 up would work fine. There are some nice after market products for the larger ones (70-110) and you can find a heater that will fit inside them. For ph I would say a couple k-nano 240's (or something similar) would work fine, or I've been thinking about getting a jaebo wp10 for one of my 20s. There a little more than korillias but they offer controllability similar to the vortechs which is nice

jjh302 03-22-2014 06:36 PM

Would it be of great benifit to have the skimmer? Basically is it worth the 50 bucks to have it?

BigRedsReefs10 03-22-2014 06:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jjh302 (Post 2887394)
Would it be of great benifit to have the skimmer? Basically is it worth the 50 bucks to have it?


That's up to you really, but a skimmer is always a nice have. I gave 2 20 longs 1 with a skimmer 1 without, the maintenance routine is the same

jjh302 03-22-2014 06:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigRedsReefs10 (Post 2887398)
That's up to you really, but a skimmer is always a nice have. I gave 2 20 longs 1 with a skimmer 1 without, the maintenance routine is the same


Mine is a 20 tall. It was originally a Walmart kit aquarium. It has angels in it right now. They are going to go to one of my many other tanks.

BigRedsReefs10 03-22-2014 07:22 PM

Setup would be pretty much the same, hopefully bribo checks back in because he's got a very impressive 20 tall setup.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:12 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.