Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community

Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community (http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/)
-   Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR (http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f45/)
-   -   New flame angel being a bully (http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f45/new-flame-angel-being-a-bully-311292.html)

George9 06-06-2014 12:30 PM

New flame angel being a bully

Hi everyone
About five days ago I added my flame anfel from qt and for a few days all was well. The past couple days, I noticed shell chase my baby butterflyfish around, only occssionally. It looks like the butterfly can hold his own, usually a jab of his spines calms the angel down.

Today though, he has a piece missing from his tail. Im just worried its not going to stop.

I made sure to add the angel last, could it be theyre still just figuring out whos in charge?

thanks

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

BigRedsReefs10 06-06-2014 12:32 PM

What size tank?

George9 06-06-2014 12:34 PM

they're in a 60 g tank. The angel is closer to full grown, and the butterflyfish is maybe 1-1.25" right now.

BigRedsReefs10 06-06-2014 12:44 PM

IMHO it sounds as if the angel has claimed the whole tank as it's territory and is establishing dominance. Any chance of trading it in for a smaller angel

George9 06-06-2014 12:48 PM

New flame angel being a bully

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigRedsReefs10 (Post 2963859)
IMHO it sounds as if the angel has claimed the whole tank as it's territory and is establishing dominance. Any chance of trading it in for a smaller angel

I can't really trade it, I got it from blue zoo in January and have been battling flukes with it until now. I could possibly bring it to a local store and maybe they'll let me trade or something.

I'm going to watch them closely today and see what's going on. so far they've been swimming close, and she's not getting ticked. The last couple days it seems she's only aggressive later in the day. might be a coincidence though

54seaweed 06-06-2014 01:03 PM

what I would try is putting him back in qt rearrange rocks some than reintroduce
making lots of little hiding places for smaller fish to hide
if its only aggressive later in the day maybe try feeding a little more smaller portions but 2x a day

I have both coral beauty and flame angel both are the most behaved out of all my fish
a second feeding could help curve your aggression issue

George9 06-06-2014 01:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 54seaweed (Post 2963871)
what I would try is putting him back in qt rearrange rocks some than reintroduce
making lots of little hiding places for smaller fish to hide
if its only aggressive later in the day maybe try feeding a little more smaller portions but 2x a day

I have both coral beauty and flame angel both are the most behaved out of all my fish
a second feeding could help curve your aggression issue

Interesting, I'll try the second feeding first, and if it doesn't help I'll try removing the angel, moving rocks, then putting her back.

ezy33 06-06-2014 01:40 PM

IMO rearranging the rocks works for FW fish not SW. If you pull a fish I would leave it for two weeks to give it tims to forget. When you reintroduce it do after lights out to a well fed tank. This will give the new fish time to find it's way around during morning twilight. You could try "net the bully" routine where you become the bully by chasing the offending fish with a small net every time it chases the new fish. Good luck!

TheTodd 06-06-2014 03:18 PM

I've heard that rearranging the rocks can work for saltwater, but thankfully have never had to. I would give it a try. Angels can be tricky with territory and I think a lot depends on the fish you get and sometimes the tankmates they are in there with. Keep us updated and good luck!

George9 06-06-2014 03:32 PM

Do you think there is any possibility they will settle it on their own?

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Aquarium Advice mobile app