Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community

Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community (http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/)
-   Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started (http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f14/)
-   -   ID PLEASE? How to fix it? (http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f14/id-please-how-to-fix-it-318378.html)

bduni50 09-04-2014 08:55 AM

ID PLEASE? How to fix it?

2 Attachment(s)
Attachment 248988Attachment 248989

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Ga1981 09-04-2014 09:16 AM

I got the same problem,
I was thinking maybe the water was to hot....
How old is your thank?

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

bduni50 09-04-2014 12:25 PM

Six months.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

POLARBEAR0871 09-04-2014 12:28 PM

It cyanobacteria in the sand and green hair grass algae on the rock both perfectly normal in new tanks and I still have green hair grass in my tank I would Invest in green emerald crabs or turbo snails they love the hair grass as for the Cyanobacteria I would get the water tested first and if it's ok I'd invest in a bristle star to sand sift or some blue legged crabs

Sent from my iPod touch using Aquarium Advice

Ga1981 09-04-2014 04:10 PM

If is cyano , I don't think starfish or hermit crab are going to help....

BigRedsReefs10 09-04-2014 04:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by POLARBEAR0871 (Post 3034059)
It cyanobacteria in the sand and green hair grass algae on the rock both perfectly normal in new tanks and I still have green hair grass in my tank I would Invest in green emerald crabs or turbo snails they love the hair grass as for the Cyanobacteria I would get the water tested first and if it's ok I'd invest in a bristle star to sand sift or some blue legged crabs

Sent from my iPod touch using Aquarium Advice

Crabs aren't going to be the answer for hair algae, reduction of nutrients is the only real way to get rid of it. The other looks a lot more like diatoms than cyano, which will go away on their own.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ga1981 (Post 3034233)
If is cyano , I don't think starfish or hermit crab are going to help....

No they won't.

POLARBEAR0871 09-04-2014 04:14 PM

It's not going to fix it but emerald crabs love the stuff and can easily control it and with crabs an stars with cyano that's how I got rid of mine I bought 10 crabs and a star with in 2weeks it was gone

Ga1981 09-04-2014 04:27 PM

My emerald only eat bubble algae, never had luck with cyano...
I been told many time there is nothing that eat cyano, unless the LFS try to sell me something,I even tried chemy clean and was a mistake....
+ 1 on big red , the one on the sand bed looks like diatoms

BigRedsReefs10 09-04-2014 04:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by POLARBEAR0871 (Post 3034238)
It's not going to fix it but emerald crabs love the stuff and can easily control it and with crabs an stars with cyano that's how I got rid of mine I bought 10 crabs and a star with in 2weeks it was gone

If your cyano looked like the first pic the op posted, it went away because it was a diatom bloom and that's what they do. IMO eliminating 99% of nuisance algae by stocking and feeding properly and a good maintenance schedule is way better than trying to control it with animals that may or may not eat it. IME emerald crabs are more likely to go after meaty foods than hair algae, especially once it's grown like it has in the ops tank, all adding that many crabs, hermits and stars is just adding more nutrients to a system that obviously has excess nutrients already.

Ga1981 09-04-2014 07:14 PM

So big red, in that case what is the best way? I'm removing those air algae by hand or a tooth brush, or there is a better way?