Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community

Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community (http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/)
-   Saltwater Reef Aquaria (http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f11/)
-   -   New 40 Gallon Setup and Transfer (http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f11/new-40-gallon-setup-and-transfer-322017.html)

paul87 11-21-2014 09:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bdonaldson (Post 3096839)
The overflow box is a 1200 gph but it's designed differently. Its only 2" wide but flares out on the ends and it didn't work out for me anyway on this build. I may use it in my 29 gallon tank (if it will work) when I redo that one.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Yea I seen some like that before. Not alot of room depth wise, but nice looking.

Bdonaldson 11-22-2014 12:09 PM

Yea I think if I use it for my 29 gallon I would probably have to go with 3/4" PVC in the overflow box because there just isn't enough room for the 1". Do you think that will work?

paul87 11-22-2014 12:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bdonaldson (Post 3097222)
Yea I think if I use it for my 29 gallon I would probably have to go with 3/4" PVC in the overflow box because there just isn't enough room for the 1". Do you think that will work?

Yea, It should. You just don't want the return pump to push more water than the drains can handle.

Bdonaldson 11-25-2014 06:59 AM

[QUOT E=paul87;3097254]Yea, It should. You just don't want the return pump to push more water than the drains can handle.[/QUOTE]

Ok sounds good. I will check back with you when I start a thread for the 29 redo.

Bdonaldson 11-25-2014 07:06 AM

I was not able to do the plumbing on the tank because I realized that I didn't have all if the joining pieces that I needed. I ordered other pieces and should get them by tomorrow hopefully.

Did anyone paint the back of their tank? If so, what kind of paint did you use?

paul87 11-25-2014 05:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bdonaldson (Post 3099280)
I was not able to do the plumbing on the tank because I realized that I didn't have all if the joining pieces that I needed. I ordered other pieces and should get them by tomorrow hopefully.

Plumbing is usually like that. Its rare you get everything in one trip. I painted the back of my glass with black gloss acrylic paint with a small foam roller and brush around bulkheads. At least 3 coats.

Ziggy953 11-25-2014 06:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bdonaldson (Post 3099280)

I painted the back of mine. Black gloss - Krylon spray paint. I've painted a lot of tanks with various colors. Spray paint works very well as it give a nice even coat.

paul87 11-25-2014 10:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ziggy953 (Post 3099657)
I painted the back of mine. Black gloss - Krylon spray paint. I've painted a lot of tanks with various colors. Spray paint works very well as it give a nice even coat.

Come to think of it that is what I did on my 38. Got sone on my PVC. It was a 10 gallon I rolled, but it worked out great too. I use gloss black rustoleum I believe. Krylon works just as good id imagine. I'd go with gloss in for cleaning purposes. No matter flat, satin, or whatever it will be the same from the inside through the glass. Tape off your trim and sides of tank and anything else that you don't want painted.

Bdonaldson 11-26-2014 11:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ziggy953 (Post 3099657)

Good to know Ziggy. Thanks, I will check on that Krylon.

Bdonaldson 11-26-2014 11:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by paul87 (Post 3099791)
Come to think of it that is what I did on my 38. Got sone on my PVC. It was a 10 gallon I rolled, but it worked out great too. I use gloss black rustoleum I believe. Krylon works just as good id imagine. I'd go with gloss in for cleaning purposes. No matter flat, satin, or whatever it will be the same from the inside through the glass. Tape off your trim and sides of tank and anything else that you don't want painted.

Sounds good Paul. Thanks, I will check that out to.