Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community

Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community (http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/)
-   Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion (http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f12/)
-   -   Benefits of having a bare bottom tank (http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f12/benefits-of-having-a-bare-bottom-tank-339570.html)

Glene20 08-08-2015 11:20 AM

Benefits of having a bare bottom tank

Im setting up another tank. Thinking of making it bare bottom because of the ease of cleaning it. Is there any other advantages of having bare bottom?

Sent from my SM-G900F using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Nils 08-08-2015 11:29 AM

Personally, I think bare bottom tanks are hideous. Other than the fact that it's easier to clean there aren't any benefits I can think of. Just a bit of sand in there can't hurt, and if you ever decide to have plants then you can plant them in that. I personally wouldn't but it's up to you.

Glene20 08-08-2015 01:25 PM

But i heard sand can blick up filters. So im a bit sceptical about using sand

ImACoolguy 08-08-2015 01:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Glene20 (Post 3261654)
But i heard sand can blick up filters. So im a bit sceptical about using sand

I have sand in 6 tanks. As long as your intake is a couple inches from the sand you're fine.

Bare bottom is much easier to maintain though. Some discus owners do this and have lots of driftwood to maintain water quality and aesthetics.

There's also plenty of plants you can tie to rocks bs wood. And plenty that float as well.

Caleb

Fresh2o 08-08-2015 01:43 PM

I do bare bottom for hospital or QT. Easier to keep clean, observe fish, and to catch them. In the DT I like substrate.
From a maintenance perspective I can see why you would want a bare bottom tank.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Edvinne 08-08-2015 01:55 PM

I heard that fish have trouble telling up from down in bare bottom tanks, besides a little gravel isn't that big prob..☺

coralbandit 08-08-2015 02:57 PM

I like BB because I am a breeder!:whistle:
Besides all the reason mentioned BB is "better" as you have lost ZERO water volume to sand or gravel.:rolleyes:
Most people don't really have 10 gallons in their 10 gallon tank.:cool:

PoppaRyno 08-08-2015 03:03 PM

I keep bare bottoms for my discus breeders.... I have never seen a fish/ or heard of onr struggle with up or down. Thats more of an equilibrium/swim bladder thing, i think.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Salukie 08-08-2015 03:21 PM

If you paint the bottom of your tank (on the outside!), you avoid the mirror effect of bare bottom. I used acrylic paint. Worked awesome!

Coyne 08-09-2015 11:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Edvinne (Post 3261685)
I heard that fish have trouble telling up from down in bare bottom tanks, besides a little gravel isn't that big prob..☺

Don't believe everything you hear. In addition to visual cues, their swim bladders help keep them oriented. They're probably even able to detect the slight difference in pressure between the top and bottom.

Back on topic: while I have substrate in all of my display tanks, I can certainly appreciate the minimalist aesthetics that come with bare bottom tanks.

If you find a black bottom boring, they make paint that has a more textured look to it. I've seen it in grey and brown.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice