Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community

Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community (http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/)
-   DIY Projects (http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f20/)
-   -   Re sealing second hand tank (http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f20/re-sealing-second-hand-tank-350723.html)

Kwakatoo 08-27-2016 02:01 AM

Re sealing second hand tank

3 Attachment(s)
So.. After watching a u-tube video, which made it look super easy.. I tried my hand at re sealing today. Omg.

It took a few days prep cleaning off the old silicone and using acetate and razors and stripping knives.. Then to put the tape on.. Took forever, only to find areas I had missed removing the old silicone..

All good right? Well.. I applied the silicone today. Gee it's hard to get the thickness right!! Then to smooth it before it starts curing! But I did it.

Yay, now for a week to cut then a super clean.. Then I'll have my biggest tank yet, which I know is small to most of you, but 58 liters is big to me :)

Pre seal
Attachment 288960

Post seal
Attachment 288961

The unattractive detail.. Not so smooth as when I pulled up the tape it left some ridges due to heavy thick layer of silicone, so attempts to smooth weren't great as it starts curing with an outside skin..
Attachment 288962

But... So glad to have done this. The old silicone was definitely shrunken, mouldy and hardened

Barliman 08-27-2016 03:57 AM

Good work! You're more industrious than I. :)

Kwakatoo 08-27-2016 06:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barliman (Post 3376472)
Good work! You're more industrious than I. :)

Thanks! Actually it's a 68lt tank. Can't wait to set it up. :)

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Delapool 08-27-2016 06:12 PM

Looks good, what's planned for this one?

Kwakatoo 08-27-2016 06:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Delapool (Post 3376567)
Looks good, what's planned for this one?

Lol, I have NO IDEA! Help!

Tank 1: guppies
Tank 2: (tiny tank) neon tetras
Tank 3: (19ltrs) - ? More guppies?
Tank4: 68 litres... Still too small for cichlids... :(

Need ideas :)

Delapool 08-27-2016 07:03 PM

Thoughts on shrimp? I used to think so-so, but saw a presentation and amazing colours out there.

Kwakatoo 08-28-2016 08:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Delapool (Post 3376578)
Thoughts on shrimp? I used to think so-so, but saw a presentation and amazing colours out there.

I've been thinking dwarf and pearl gourami's in 19ltr (3 tops) and dwarf cichlids in the 68ltr..

Autumnsky 08-29-2016 03:18 AM

Some times you just have to bite the bullet and move around the fish. Plan ahead!

Blue Rams +++

Kwakatoo 08-29-2016 07:32 AM

H
Quote:

Originally Posted by Autumnsky (Post 3376798)
Some times you just have to bite the bullet and move around the fish. Plan ahead!

Blue Rams +++

Hi Autumn, sorry I don't understand your comment. Does the blue Rams +++ mean that my idea is ok? I'm definitely trying to plan ahead :)

Autumnsky 08-29-2016 02:20 PM

You might need to change the fish you have now (or want to keep) to better size tank you already own.

Planning part (what I meant) is when you are going to do the changing fish from one tank to the other type planning. Changing tanks sometimes involves moving fish between 4 tanks not just switching 2 tanks.

Not all fish in one tank might be all going together to another tank - one group might go the the Ram tank and one fish might need to go with the Neons, and one type of fish to the tiny tank... To get the best fit & compatibility for all fish. That kind of planning and switching.

It is obvious you are planning ahead for your tank stock!

Blue Rams are great fish - good choice!

And great job recalking your tank by yourself!!!