Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community

Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community (http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/)
-   General Hardware/Equipment Discussion (http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f60/)
-   -   a leak question how fast will it grow (http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f60/a-leak-question-how-fast-will-it-grow-351127.html)

Scott S 09-17-2016 02:52 PM

a leak question how fast will it grow

ok, I've developed a small leak. so far it's just a drip.
so, a few questions.
how fast will it grow?
what are the chances it will fail catastrophically?
how long do I have?

Delapool 09-18-2016 10:09 AM

In my experience they tend to be water pressure related for leak speed and have never failed all in one go. Heard plenty of horror stories though. Time for a new (and larger) tank?

Chest Rockwell 09-26-2016 03:10 AM

a leak question how fast will it grow

As you do water changes, it will cause the crack to grow until BOOM! You should transfer your stock to a big plastic container until you get another tank. You're playing with fire.

Scott S 02-16-2017 07:21 PM

I forgot to give the update on this thread.
I simply found and bought another 100 gallon tank.
now though, I'm looking at the leaky tank thinking, I should reseal this one...
anyone done this?
I could use any advice.

Ketso 02-16-2017 10:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scott S (Post 3414519)
I forgot to give the update on this thread.
I simply found and bought another 100 gallon tank.
now though, I'm looking at the leaky tank thinking, I should reseal this one...
anyone done this?
I could use any advice.

Never done it. But make sure your caulk does not contain any mildew preventor. I'm sure the info is out there. A Google search should do the trick.

Autumnsky 02-17-2017 01:23 AM

Think of the tiny rock chip on a windshield, you can't hardly see it, and then one day you get in the car and it has ripped across half the wind shield.

Scary!!!

How about a paludarium? Some one was selling a huge tank for pretty cheap, and said there was a chip and I thought maybe I don't want 150 gallons of water on my living room floor. But maybe I want a huge cool place for a less water and pressure but kinda amazing opportunity?!?!

Ketso 02-17-2017 04:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Autumnsky (Post 3414640)
Think of the tiny rock chip on a windshield, you can't hardly see it, and then one day you get in the car and it has ripped across half the wind shield.

Scary!!!

How about a paludarium? Some one was selling a huge tank for pretty cheap, and said there was a chip and I thought maybe I don't want 150 gallons of water on my living room floor. But maybe I want a huge cool place for a less water and pressure but kinda amazing opportunity?!?!

OP didn't mention a crack or chip. Could be just leaky old caulk. You make a valid point though if it is a crack/chip.

Scott S 02-17-2017 05:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ketso (Post 3414873)
OP didn't mention a crack or chip. Could be just leaky old caulk. You make a valid point though if it is a crack/chip.

yes, just a small caulking leak. it leaked about 1 cup per day

Scott S 03-20-2017 04:11 PM

ok, tank re-sealed and holding water. man, I'm thinking re-sealing aquariums is not my career path.
doesn't look bad, but took a while longer than it should have.

toolman 03-20-2017 10:18 PM

I resealed my 55 after it was given to us after setting in storage unit several years. Has been fine for a year, just watch it initially.

Sent from my N9130 using Aquarium Advice mobile app