Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community

Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community (http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/)
-   Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion (http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f12/)
-   -   Pea puffer (http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f12/pea-puffer-363933.html)

ylreveb20 01-21-2018 06:48 PM

Pea puffer

I have a 55 gallon community tank, Iím ready with a 5 gallon tank if the pea puffer gets aggressive. My question, Should I get another pea puffer or is one good enough? Thank you

Brookster123 01-21-2018 06:54 PM

What? You realize they max out at an inch? It's all wrong for them.

Nils 01-21-2018 06:55 PM

Definitely put him in the 5 gallon tank already. He can't and won't do well in the 55.

ebjornsgard 01-21-2018 07:03 PM

I have a pea puffer alone in a 5 gallon. Unless you are doing a group of just pea puffers in the 55 gallon, that would be super cool. But if it's an average community tank, I would just put the one pea puffer straight in the 5 gallon. They are pretty aggressive, and don't tend to do well with community fish.

TMaier 01-21-2018 07:36 PM

Think velociraptor. And your other fish are the tourists. Put it in the 5.

The Dave 01-24-2018 09:43 AM

I would not put more than 1 pea puffer in a 5 gallon tank.

evil Nick 01-25-2018 12:00 PM

I read your posts and LAUGH at you all! MY pea puffers started in a 5 gallon. One died due to a heater malfunction and I moved the remaining one to my 55 with my amazon puffer. they both couldnt be happier!
My pea puffer is WAY more active in the big planted tank and has literally zero fear of anything. I recently saw it get annoyed enough at an angel to take off one of its whiskers.

They are very intelligent and curious fish. If its a juvenile, maybe start it in a small tank, but so long as the big tank has hiding places and space, it should be fine, I would def get another if they are juvie though. Mine were side by side until grown, then they wanted their own spaces.

aside that though, each fish is different and my puffers and angels are all extremely lax. Could be because I keep them well fed with a variety of foods, including live in well planted tanks.

Id say all my fish pretty much have the itis

Brookster123 01-25-2018 12:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by evil Nick (Post 3486167)
I read your posts and LAUGH at you all! MY pea puffers started in a 5 gallon. One died due to a heater malfunction and I moved the remaining one to my 55 with my amazon puffer. they both couldnt be happier!
My pea puffer is WAY more active in the big planted tank and has literally zero fear of anything. I recently saw it get annoyed enough at an angel to take off one of its whiskers.

They are very intelligent and curious fish. If its a juvenile, maybe start it in a small tank, but so long as the big tank has hiding places and space, it should be fine, I would def get another if they are juvie though. Mine were side by side until grown, then they wanted their own spaces.

aside that though, each fish is different and my puffers and angels are all extremely lax. Could be because I keep them well fed with a variety of foods, including live in well planted tanks.

Id say all my fish pretty much have the itis

So you don't think the angels whiskers are important? Bet your angel begs to differ.. they're not community fish. It's not debatable, it just is...

Prolific 01-25-2018 01:21 PM

As a puffer owner for years am going to also tell you there not community fish but its your tank you so as you please and amazon puffer are brakish water so dont know what you doing

Brookster123 01-25-2018 01:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prolific (Post 3486176)
As a puffer owner for years am going to also tell you there not community fish but its your tank you so as you please and amazon puffer are brakish water so dont know what you doing

Amazon puffers are not brackish. They can tolerate brackish conditions but thrive in fw.