Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community

Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community (
-   Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started (
-   -   Ouch (

Bill1977 06-07-2003 01:26 AM

I was moving my new green hammer coral tonight and it stung me on my thumb. I didn't think anything of it when it happened but now it is about three hours later and now my hole arm feels like it is weak. Is this normal?

michealprater 06-07-2003 01:37 AM

Some people are sensitive to the stings of hammers. If the pain persists you may want to see a doctor. I would try to run hot water over your thumb for starters.

Bill1977 06-07-2003 01:41 AM

Ok, is the sting of a hammer strong enough to do any "damage" to me? I'm not going to die in my sleep tonight am I?

michealprater 06-07-2003 01:47 AM

Not that I know of, but I dont want to say for sure, if you were alergic to it, it could do some serious damage. Everyones body is different.

Bill1977 06-07-2003 01:52 AM

How will I know if I'm alergic? Also what signs should I be aware of? I don't mean to bother you or sound like a baby but I have never been stung by a coral before and I don't know what to expect.

reefrunner69 06-07-2003 07:55 AM


How will I know if I'm alergic?
IMO, you have already shown a reaction/sensitivity to the sting. If I were you, I would take some antihistimines, it's too late now for the hot water (probably wouldn't work in this situation anyway, it is good for toxins/venoms though). Keep a close eye on your breathing, and consult a physician. Allergic reactions go two ways, either they get milder the more times your exposed to the allergy or they get worse, might not be a bad idea to have an epi stick on hand.

Bill1977 06-07-2003 07:07 PM

Thanks. I woke up today and it was fine. No swelling and the pain was gone. From now on I will be more careful when I put my hands in my tank.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:57 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.