Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community

Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community (http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/)
-   Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started (http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f14/)
-   -   Windex, the silent killer? (http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f14/windex-the-silent-killer-45046.html)

midiman 03-17-2005 02:40 PM

Windex, the silent killer?

Over on the disease board I posted about my sudden fish deaths, and I've posted questions all over, and got my first TOTALLY original answer. Somebody over on RC answered that his LFS guy told him that Windex, yes WINDEX, would kill fish if sprayed on the front glass (fumes and small particles, etc.).

I know the guy from "My Big Fat Greek Wedding" would disagree, but is this actually possible?

jmmiller 03-17-2005 02:49 PM

Ive heard the same thing. I think because windex contains a high volume of ammonia.

revhtree 03-17-2005 02:53 PM

NEVER spray windex on your tank........ :roll:

OneBowl 03-17-2005 02:53 PM

Technically, I suppose it would be possible, but highly unlikely if normal amounts are used. First hand experience seems to prove this out. A tank sitter spilled about 6 ounces in my 55 years ago, no deaths. The ammonia probably started a short cycle, but I can't comment on the severity as I was flying testless at the time.

neon_hybrid 03-17-2005 02:55 PM

yes its possible. Windex as well as many other glass cleaners contain amonia as their primary cleaning ingredient. One of the books I have states that it one of the 10 most common mistakes that people make with fish tanks. I know it seems far fetched, but it makes total sense if you think about it. Amonia is deadly to fish, and your spraying amonia directly on the glass, and the mist does tend to travel up and get into the water....

RocketSeason 03-17-2005 03:09 PM

I spray windex on a paper towel, then wipe the tank with the towel.

Never heard of a Windex death. but better safe than sorry.

Jonathan G. 03-17-2005 03:18 PM

i use the windex no drip that is a bit more gelatenous

Fluff 03-17-2005 03:20 PM

I use the towelettes, then dry with papertowel.

Rach101 03-17-2005 03:30 PM

Also.. I imagine some materials that tanks are made of my leech the windex into it?

JPloman 03-17-2005 04:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by revhtree
NEVER spray Windex on your tank........ :roll:

I did that once... I thought my husband was going to kill me. He started screaming at me "What the *&*^^%$#^&#% are you doing!?!?!?" then grabbed the Windex out of my hands and gave me a LONG lecture on how the Windex will seep through the glass and kill our fish!

Glass is porous. Thus it will absorb anything you put on it. Windex and many other cleaners contain ammonia and other chemicals that are bad for fish tanks. Tiny amounts will not affect it in a negative way if you do not apply it directly to the surface, that is most likely why some folks on this site are able to use it on paper towels. :D