Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community

Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community (http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/)
-   Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion (http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f12/)
-   -   What to put in a 1 gallon tank (http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f12/what-to-put-in-a-1-gallon-tank-50381.html)

mr86mister 05-16-2005 08:21 PM

What to put in a 1 gallon tank

Now i am a pretty experienced aquarist with my mom having tanks since i was a kid and i know the rule of thumb is 1 inch of fish per gallon of water, but what could i put in a one gallon with undergravel filter....like a combination of two fish or a bottom feeder and a regular fish that looks good....maybe a guppy and amano shrimp? i dont know....any suggestions?

Fluff 05-16-2005 08:24 PM

The guppy and shrimp sounds good. Or a betta. Or killifish.

mr86mister 05-16-2005 09:54 PM

thanks cindy :) I have heard of killifish, they seem small enough...but are there any others that would go good in it, i take good care of all my tanks and keep them well maintained and have all the meds. and tests to keep up to date, so anymore ideas anyone? :mrgreen:

lyquidphyre 05-16-2005 09:57 PM

I think a betta and a snail or two would be neat =o)

Fluff 05-16-2005 10:11 PM

There are some other small species but, your very limited with one gallon. Maybe a pair of endlers. There are lots of small fish but most like to school and wouldn't be happy in such a small space.

An t-iasg 05-16-2005 10:12 PM

I would caution against a betta in a one gallon tank or bowl. Bettas are very sensitive to temperature fluctuations and ammonia levels that can happen, even with the best of care, in such a small tank. Most of the sick betta questions I help answer are due to the betta living in such a small environment. It's very hard to keep a small tank or bowl at a constant temperature and cycled to remove ammonia.

mr86mister 05-16-2005 10:58 PM

i do have 2 bettas in 1/2 gallon bowls and boy do i know the temp. problem and ammonia, luckily i have the perfect spot in my room and i've read up enough on that, i love my bettas very much but i dont need another one so thats why i'm just looking around for others.....thank you all for suggestions...i will look up on endlers and killifish, if anymore pop up just let me know...THANKS :)

megladonsharky 05-17-2005 01:02 AM

Personally the betta will be nice for a while, but mine is outgrowing his one gallon

Andos99 05-17-2005 03:03 AM

Not meaning to offend, but why a 1 gallon tank? I don't think such a species exists that really appreciates such an envirnment. JMO

mr86mister 05-17-2005 07:19 AM

its only because of space and cost......shoot if i had lots of money and a huge room i would have no problem having a couple hundred gallon freshwater tank and probably breed certain species....but thats once i get a house, at the moment.....i'm squeezing in what i can....and unfortunately a 1 gal. is all that will do