Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community

Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community (http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/)
-   Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion (http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f12/)
-   -   betta in a 2 gallon? (http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f12/betta-in-a-2-gallon-5635.html)

sweetsuvvyb 07-29-2003 11:42 PM

betta in a 2 gallon?

I have a novelty 2 gallon tank (water surface is less than ideal for the volume), and I'm wondering if it would be large enough to house a betta.

It was part of a kit that had an undergravel filter, and bubble wall...which was a real mess, imo...any thoughts on how a betta would do with this? Or suggestions on a better set-up?

I'm not really looking to set it up right now...just kind of investigating for future reference ;)

thanks guys!

Sponge Bob 07-30-2003 01:31 AM

It'll do just fine. I have kept my Betta in a 2 gallon tank for a while and its doing fine.

tkos 07-30-2003 06:33 AM

No problems there. That is a great size for a Betta. The minimum size IMO. You could probably also add some java fern or a nice silk plant and maybe a snail for company and cleaning!!

hisc1ay 07-30-2003 09:37 AM

my betta is doing awesome in a 2 gal hex, and he's getting pretty big too. His fins are awesome and he seems happy.

-j

sweetsuvvyb 07-30-2003 03:57 PM

awesome :)

I'm thinking of making it my first venture into a planted tank.

just waiting for my new-ish 10 gallon to get settled...(and trying to figure out the appropriate wating period before launching a new tank, so as not to get too many comments on my slight obsession!)

Sesos 07-30-2003 04:30 PM

sweetsuvvyb: I know what you mean. I started a 10 gal back in June, just added a 2 gal hex with Felix the Betta in my office at work and I'm trying to convince my wife that we need a bigger tank at home. I am obsessed!

HOLLIEO 07-30-2003 06:33 PM

Hey, Sesos ... I hear ya'!!! I started a 1.5 gallon in may, a 20 gallon in June, a 50 gallon a few weeks ago, and now I two have a hex tank on my office desk. I am totally suffering from MTS !!! ha, ha
I was going to stick a Betta or two in the Hex at my desk at work, but then someone suggested a few White Cloud Minnows. I guess I will just have to get another tank for the Betta... ha, ha
But, I understand about trying to convince the spouse to go 'BIG' :lol:
He isn't really into my tanks... He like to go to the lakes/ocean and catch the Fish, not really thrilled to have them all over our house. :wink:
By the way.. I am from the Ventura area too.. well, actually ventura county.
Good luck with the new office betta!!!

Allivymar 07-30-2003 06:57 PM

*looks at HOLLIEO and laughs*

You KNOW how bad I have it. Went from 1 8-10g hex tank last year, to a 55g, a 25g, two 10g and that good ol hex tank. We really need a 12 step group round here LOL Cause I'm thinkin, after reading these and some other posts, a Betta would be nice to have on my desk at work...

Sesos 07-30-2003 08:08 PM

GET THE BETTA ALLIVYMAR!

Just think, one less betta in one of thos dixie cups at the store, he'd be SO happy to live on your desk at work. My 2 gal hex kit + Felix was $25, a bargain! :twisted:

Allivymar 07-30-2003 08:16 PM

I just might...but not till Sept when I go back (I'm an OT in a public school). Theres an empty 1 or 2g "goldfish bowl" that I let won't anyone use for goldfish, just sitting in the room.

I'd have to drag the lil guy back n forth during vacations/summer tho...think its a good idea? Don't wanna stress the lil dude too much.

Just some thoughts on sweets' original post. What sort of filtration is good? I know some peeps just do water changes, but since I wouldn't be around on weekends I'd feel better knowing there was a filter in there. Do bettas like bubbles? I keep reading conflicting opinions on that one.