Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community

Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community (http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/)
-   Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started (http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f14/)
-   -   lazy snails? (http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f14/lazy-snails-6060.html)

lilismom1 08-07-2003 11:21 PM

lazy snails?

i just purchased some 30 turbo snails from lfs 2 days ago. when i put them in the tank some of them flipped over onto their backs. i had the canopy off so i flipped them back over no problem. well, yesterday i noticed some of them had fallen off the glass onto their backs again. i just left them because i figured they'd right themselves. they stayed like that until just a little while ago when i had my other half help me remove the canopy again so i could get to them. are my snails lazy or what? this is a major pain in the butt. i have a 10 month old baby, and no spare time to babysit my snails! will they eventually get it together or do i need to replace them for a more athletic species?

fishtender 08-07-2003 11:49 PM

Hi Lili,

I have about twenty of them in my tank and would not trade them. They do a great job on my LR. I have found that after they got into the routine they stay pretty much connected to whatever they are grazing on. I have ( i know it sounds silly , but I find new uses for everything) 3 bamboo skewers taped together, and slip them through the nearest convenient hole, and give them a little flip till they upright themselves. If there is an easy way I will find it. Give it a try.

Howard

bizzybeas 08-08-2003 12:17 AM

My cerith snails do this also, when they fall off of the glass. Today I found one sitting up vertically on a piece of LR. 8) My bumblebees and my narrisus (sp?) do not have a problem righting themselves.

bizzybeas 08-08-2003 12:23 AM

Oops. Nassarius snail.

lilismom1 08-08-2003 12:34 AM

so i guess i'm going to have to keep pushing them over, huh? however, i will be buying bumblebees and nasssssaaarius for the rest of my snail minions. thanx!

two11devan 08-08-2003 01:06 AM

Try some Astrias....i have four of them in my tank and i have never had to flip them over, er....well if you don't count the times i have accidently knocked them off the glass when cleaning the filter.....any way, they seem to do a great job on my LR and the lines for my fluval filter. They hang out mostly on the glass and they are never in the same spot for more than a couple of hours! :wink:

lilismom1 08-08-2003 01:12 AM

astrias you say? i'll keep them in mind. the problem is my lfs, the "good" one doesn't carry a big variety and i'm scared to death of contracting some weird disease from the local petworld stock.

gooyferret 08-08-2003 01:14 AM

Turbo snails are not able to right themselves off their back. From what i have read and IME turbos are somewhat lazy when it comes time to clean the glass although they do a fine job on the LR. Be careful with them you have to keep them upright or they will die or the hermit crabs will kill them! :( Cerith snails also have a tendency to not be able to right themselves off their back...Astrias and nassarius are good snails and able to right themselves. Good Luck and happy flipping! :lol:

lilismom1 08-08-2003 01:14 AM

astrias you say? i'll keep them in mind. the problem is my lfs, the "good" one doesn't carry a big variety and i'm scared to death of contracting some weird disease from the local petworld stock.

gooyferret 08-08-2003 01:16 AM

everyone in here is online....lol :D