Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community

Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community (http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/)
-   Saltwater Reef Aquaria (http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f11/)
-   -   Hair Algae....Please HELP! (http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f11/hair-algae-please-help-81346.html)

SeeDemTails 08-08-2006 09:24 PM

Hair Algae....Please HELP!
 
This stuff is taking over my tank, starting to choke out my zoos! :x
I use only RO/DI water, and do 10% changes once a week in my 10 gal tank.

I have stuffed my HOB fuge with Culpera and some other type of macro algae......What else can I do?

Is there an animal that will eat this stuff....I have an arrow crab, and he nibbles it, but not enough to damage it.

It is growing a 1/8th on an inch per DAY........This all started when I added better lighting......2.5 watts per gal to 9.6 watts per gal now.

Thanks,

Billy

boardsurfer 08-08-2006 09:38 PM

Wow, 9.6 watts per gallon is a lot.

What all is in your tank? Could be a result of excess nutrients (you probably know that). What are your phospate readings? Do you feed a lot, too?

I'd cut back the lights. Did you just go from 2.5 watts per gal to 9.6 watts per gal in one day? That could shock things a bit. I'd cut back the lights by .5

Nels22 08-08-2006 11:14 PM

When I had hair algae in my tank choking my zoo's I took the piece out and used a large flat screwdriver and cracked my colony by the hair algae and just tossed the piece with the algae on it, haven't had a problem since, but if you have it all over your tank you'll probably need to buy a scissors, or simply remove the entire problem. HTH

theatrus 08-09-2006 12:09 AM

See if you can get your water tested for phosphates and nitrates. If you have a phosphate reading (can be a lot of things), try a phosphate absorbing medium. They work really well, if that is the problem.

weemanpow3 08-09-2006 12:30 AM

I am in the same position that you are but I have a protine skimmer. I do every other day feeding on fish and do water changes with RO/DI water. Also I do 6 hour a day lighting. our are just gonna have to keep gutting it off untill the algae dies off. This is what im doing.

roka64 08-09-2006 09:04 AM

I took out a few of the bad pieces and scrubbed them in old SW. That helped quite a bit.

SeeDemTails 08-09-2006 02:24 PM

I do have a skimmer...I have modified a skilter 250 with a coralife airstone that skimms the tank extremly well...I also have a surface skimmer hooked up to it.....there is no protein in my tank, in the water or on the surface.

Trates, trites and ammonia are all at 0.

The lights have clearly been the source(or atleast the beggining) of this problem.....the algae started to grow immidiatley after adding the lights which have been on for about a month now.

I have my spare areas of my skilter packed with culpera and other macro algaes with have a 20 watt 50/50 bulb over them.

I could cut back on my lighting, but im not sure how much this would help. How many hours is enough for zoos, xenia and green star polyps?

I plan to find out how much P04 is in my tank, and also about how to remove it.

I am beggining to think the only thing that will solve this problem will be something that eats hair algae. My arrow crab nibbles it, but doesnt chow down enough to clean up.

Is there a type of snail or crab that will be able to help remove it?

I have worked my azz off on this tank, and after 8 months this is like a TKO for me...my tank looks like crap and I dont know if there is anything I can do about it....soon it will start to overgrow my zoo colony.

I am about to give up.

roka64 08-09-2006 03:07 PM

Quote:

I have my spare areas of my skilter packed with culpera and other macro algaes
it might take them some time to "out eat" the hair algae. ONe or two of these might help to keep it in check, along with PWCs and good water quality:
http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/p...cfm?pCatId=623

Have you had your LFS test your water, just to make sure your tests are still accurate? It's hard to believe your trates/phosphates are at 0. If they are, it still might take a little time for the hair algae to starve.

boardsurfer 08-09-2006 03:10 PM

How much are your lights on per day right now? If your lights are on for 10 hours, then (and this is just me) I would try taking 2 hours off in the morning, and two hours off in the evening, temporarily.

Get the results of your PO4 test when you can.

Also, test your source water for PO4. Maybe it's time to change your DI resin on your RO/DI unit? Take your sourcewater to your LFS and have them do a TDS reading on it, too.

Turbosnails love hair algae (mine do, anyway). They are like a lawnmower over the stuff.

reeling reefer 08-10-2006 02:49 PM

Try A seahare, mine eats hair algea like a machine.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:32 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.