Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community

Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community (
-   Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral (
-   -   Lost three mushrooms (

Scoot 11-27-2006 05:11 PM

Lost three mushrooms
Over the last 4 days, I've lost three mushrooms (they died, I didn't "lose" them).

The 3nd is now a pile of pink jelly I need to siphon out.

Two were both green flourescent shrooms. The first one was a reddish-brown, normal kind, nothing special.

These have been excelling for months - nothing has changed, if anything, water quality has improved.

They're at the bottom of the tank, under 2x175w 14K MH + 2x65W PC.

The lost shrooms are on the same rock. There's one remaining green flourescent on there who seems to be okay.

There's another rock, with more shrooms, but the green bumpy/pimply kind, right next to this one.

Is it possible the jelly goo from the first one hurt the two next to it and killed them off?

Strangely, one of the green shrooms just split, the split/child/whatever is still fine.

Do mushrooms have a set life span?

The only change is two weeks ago I started using Reef Crystals instead of Instant Ocean.

Everything else is doing fine *except* a frogspawn that has 3 heads - one of the heads has been deflated for two days. The other 2 heads look great.

All of my params are very stable:
Ammonia/Nitrite: 0 (has been for a long time)
Nitrate: 10ppm - fluctuates from 4ppm to 12ppm or so with PWC's.
SG: 1.023 (stable)
Temp: 82F (max range from 81.0 to 82.5F)
pH: 8.24 (swings from 8.1 in morning to 8.3 late evening)
dKh: 9.15 (very stable)
Ca: 360 (declines to 320 prior to PWC)

I've been doing no dosing or additives since moving to reef crystals. RO/DI water with TDS of 0PPM.

roka64 11-27-2006 05:36 PM

Scoot, I'm not a reefer, but I'm going to move this to sick fish/corals, where more folks can help.

Scoot 11-27-2006 05:37 PM

I believe this is more a chemistry issue.

I don't have sick shrooms - they've already died ;)

Yeah, I think I've heard they can split when sick - just like anemone's, but these looks great last week - bigger than ever, great color. It's just wierd, considering everything looks good.

I *DID* have minor emergency room work done on a finger last week, and had been putting neosporin on the cut/stitches (I slice part of my knuckle off with a santoku chef's knife, and they sewed it back on). I don't think I had my hands in the water after using any (within several hours), but I might have.

I'd think that would have affected the biological filter, but I'm not seeing any symptoms of that.

melosu58 11-27-2006 07:15 PM

1 Attachment(s)
As you can see I have alot of mushrooms and I`ve never seen any of them split. They seem to give off a jelly that runs down the rock and a new one comes up there. I have the blue or purple ones and red ones. As I said I`ve never seen one split before. Maybe others do. All these mushrooms came from one.

Scoot 11-27-2006 07:30 PM

Maybe "split" wasn't the right word.

Well, yeah, it is. They pinched up in the middle, and sort of slowly became two - over a period of months. I'm not sure when the actual, final split happened - it was very, very gradual. I couldn't tell there were two (where the was one) until they shrunk down one night and were quite disctinctly separate.

The jelly you mention - I have that where one seemed to have died - running down the rock - looks like Jello brand gelatin. Its gross. But i've never seen them do it before now.

melosu58 11-27-2006 07:35 PM

On mine that jelly would give off a small mushroom that would grow and give off its own jelly and start a new one. Dont know about yours but no splitting here.

Scoot 11-28-2006 11:06 AM

I could swear this jelly-like stuff has moved - now its surrounding the 3rd (and last) green shroom on that rock. Its wierd.

roka64 11-28-2006 11:17 AM


Originally Posted by Scoot
I could swear this jelly-like stuff has moved - now its surrounding the 3rd (and last) green shroom on that rock. Its wierd.

You sure it isn't some sort of flat worms?

Scoot 11-28-2006 11:55 AM

Pretty sure.

Here. This was last night. Now the stuff is surrounding the mushroom on the left (whereas in the photo it was just to the right of it.) That shroom was perfect yesterday - nice a full, wrapping around about 1/4 of that rock.

Devilishturtles 11-28-2006 03:05 PM

That's weird. How close is your torch coral to the mushrooms?

I was thinking brown jelly disease, but it usually infects damaged corals (maybe, your torch) but can spread.

Due you have access to some Lugols Iodine? I would consider doing an Iodine Dip on the rock incase that is some sort of infection that will spread.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:48 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.