Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community

Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community (http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/)
-   Saltwater Reef Aquaria (http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f11/)
-   -   Frogfish died :x (http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f11/frogfish-died-x-95851.html)

Bonez 06-12-2007 11:24 PM

Frogfish died :x

Came home and he had blister like wounds on his body, swollen and puffy - floating :X, some of the blisters were red like POP EYE , but on his body...what could it have been?

melosu58 06-13-2007 07:26 AM

What size tank was this? What are your water parameters? Need more info.

Hara 06-13-2007 08:24 AM

This article may be of use. Most illnesses can be traced back to stress. I think your fish was quite possibly majorly stressed in the tank it was in, which ultimately weakened it.

tecwzrd 06-13-2007 08:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by melosu58
What size tank was this? What are your water parameters? Need more info.

24 gal cube.

Considering it was only 3" I don't think it was stressed by the tanks size but without knowing parameters i.e. ph/sg/temp/nh3/no2/no3/alk/ca/ect... (real numbers) it's not easy to say if it was stressed otherwise.

How does your other stock look?

macman7010 06-13-2007 09:09 AM

I agree with tec on that: A 3" fish in a 24 gallon aquarium likely was not stressed to the point of death. Besides that frogfish are not very vigorous open water swimmers.

Hara 06-13-2007 10:11 AM

I will stay on my side of the fence on this one..Whether the fish is small or not, a 24 gallon was not an appropriate size tank..why? If a tank less then 2 ft wide was acceptable, then 70 as a minimum would not be suggested. Whether it is due to bioload from messy eating habits or whatnot, the tank was too small for the fish.

seaham358 06-13-2007 10:35 AM

From what I have read about them they do not require large tanks and a 24 should be fine for one that small. What kind of FF was it?
What were you feeding it? Goldfish?
swollen and puffy is because its dead and filled with gases from the body breaking down.. Most dead things get bloated..
tank temp?? how long did you have him? If the suck in air that can kill them if they can't expel it..

macman7010 06-13-2007 10:37 AM

My first question would be how long the 3" frogfish was in the tank. Considering that many retail facilities quarantine fish in tanks much smaller then 24 gallons for extended periods I think it is safe to assume that a small amount of time in a less then recommended tank can fare alright. Many LFS's utilize long slender tanks with acrylic partitions, only giving the fish a tiny amount of room to house the fish that are offered for sale; even in those tight quarters fish can survive.

While I am totally not advocating keeping fish in tanks too small for them; or tanks too small to accommodate them as adults; I don't believe that the stress of a 3" fish being in a 24 gallon aquarium would kill a frogfish. A surgeonfish perhaps or even another species that is an active open water swimmer. Famous Discus breeders not only house but successfully breed Discus fish in 20 gallon long tanks. Tanks of 55 gallons or more are often recommended for Discus fish but the nature of the fish's swimming habits can make them easy to house in smaller quarters.

Another question I have for Bonez is how often the fish was fed and what it was eating. Also how frequent were you doing partial water changes. Bio-load could have played a role in this fish's demise although if PWC's were done on the proper basis (maybe even more frequent then recommended) it may not have been an issue. Also a post of water chemistry readings:

Nitrate
Phosphate
Ammonia
ph/alk.

would be very helpful.

tecwzrd 06-13-2007 12:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by seaham358
What kind of FF was it?

It was a Striated Frogfish. Here is his main post.

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/files/...g_0087_204.jpg

roka64 06-13-2007 12:28 PM

Were the red spots along the lateral line of the fish?