10 gal tank cycling advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bubbleguppy

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I got a ten gallon tank on Sunday and I've decided not to put any fish in it until it cycles. I put fish food in it every day and I test the water every other day. My problem is I don't have an API master kit , I'm using Tetra 5 in 1 easy strips , and I'm aware the results can be innacurate .
I've read that first ammonia levels will rise and then decrease, and then nitrite levels will rise . Problem is my strips don't test for ammonia they test for Nitrates , nitrites, Hardness, Alkalinity, and PH. So I've been testing to see if my nitrite levels are raising but they seem to be at 0 ppm according to the test strips. What should I do , should I continue testing until I see nitrites rise or assume the cycling hasn't begun , or is it safe to assume nitrite levels haven't risen yet but ammonia is present ? I might invest in ammonia test strips or an API kit as soon as I can. I'm attaching an image of today's test as it is confusing me.
m1cETx
naeuTx

I think you will need the api freshwater master test kit imo. More reliable.

Are you able to source pure ammonia at all? That might be easier than waiting for fish food to break down.

Thank you, and I might be able to , I plan to get an API kit from online. There's a local fish store that sells fish supplies , unsure if it sells pure ammonia , Ill have to check. Thank you for your advice.

Good luck! Post how you go. It would also be worthwhile testing your tap water. This gives a baseline reading (and not unheard of for people to have nitrates, etc in the tap or well water).

Don't trust test strips for this. I bought mine at WalMart and (surprise!) they gave me the exact same readings for weeks and weeks - the entire bottle. I was suspicious after 50+ days. The API test kit gave me (finally!) very high nitrite levels DAY 1. I felt like I was starting over again.

Chances are that the LFS will just try to sell you bottles bacteria that rarely works. Skip the LFS and go straight the hardware store most people have good luck at ace hardware and just get the janitorial strength ammonia. I got a gallon at True Value about 5 years ago and I still have most of it! Then stop at any drug store, actually you can get an oral dosing syringe from the grocery store for like 50 cents. That and the api test kit and you are all set. This is my favorite calculator site for how much to put in your tank to get the right ppm. It's the calculator all the way at the bottom.
Calculator

Yeah i've unfortunately found the same thing. I've been recording all results every other day in a hand journal to monitor changes yet things have barely changed if changed at all.
Im going to get an API kit for sure

I'll look into it, our local Ace Hardware closed but i'll look around for some Ammonia. Thanks for the calculator.

Back
Top Bottom