10 gallon frame seal leaking!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cammywammy

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Yesterday when I was painting my aquarium I slid it on the stand. When I did this I guess I broke the seal and my fish tank is now slowly leaking. What do I do!!!!?

I just bought a new 20 gallon long though lol. I've spent a lot of money on changes to this tank on the past months do I have to drain the whole tank to reseal it:/

Of course. Well, to do it properly anyway. You could try piling on some silicon and see if that works. Truth to be told, ten gallons are so cheap it would probably be in your best interest to just go get a new one since a tube of silicon is going to cost you about seven bucks anyway. Around my area I can pick them up all day long for pocket change.

In my experience, old silicone will not work together with new silicone. You would have to reseal the whole tank, which means emptying it all out. As has been mentioned, your best alternative is to purchase a new 10-gallon tank, which can be found for relatively cheap these days. Your local Walmart should have them in stock.

David

My 300ltr tank leaked so had to emptie it take whole tank apart and remake was hard but worth it

The tank is over 7 years old anyway.. I wonder if its worth it to buy a 15 gallon :/ well this sucks. After putting hours and hours into this tank now I have to redo it:(

The tank is over 7 years old anyway.. I wonder if its worth it to buy a 15 gallon :/ well this sucks. After putting hours and hours into this tank now I have to redo it:(

Upgrades should be done in multiples of fifteen... Go for a 150 gallon! ;)

Lol maybe when I have my own house! For now I think my parents would just laugh at me. Plus that would use all of my hard earned money. I make about 170 a week from my job and I put most of it into my savings account and only a small percentage in my checking account.

well you can get a 10 gallon from, well just about anywhere that says tanks for close to $10. so i would just buy a new one and transfer everything over.

I don't know what to do:( I can't really go and get a new tank until tomorrow and not much is actually leaking and I can pin point the seal where it needs to be resealed I have figured multiple options. This is just sad because my tank is cycling and now I have to change out all the water :(

1. Buy a new tank transfer everything over and have my biology teacher reseal the tank.

2. Drain and seal the tank and wait or it to dry while I keep my fish in another tank.

3. Take home another fish tank from my biology teacher and drain my current tank and switch tanks with him.

4. same as #3 but buy a new tank remake the tank and get a 5 gallon from my biology teacher in exchange for the broken 10 gallon.

if you are going to drain the tank you will need to strip all of the old silicone and reseal it, reason being is silicone WILL NOT adhere to old silicone, it will simply lose the seal and begin to leak all over again

this is why so many have suggested just buying a new one because the cost of the tube of silicone is close to the cost of a brand new 10 gallon tank

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom