10 gallon lighting?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sinibotia

Aquarium Advice Addict
I've never done a real planted tank but I'm going to try to get some easy, hardy plants for the 10 gallon dwarf puffer tank I just set up. But the more research I do on lighting, the less it makes sense. I just want to get a light that will comfortably grow most plants.

Will this work? 24 in. T5 Dual Fluorescent

Does anyone have any other recommendations for fairly cheap good lighting?

No bulbs to change&very sleek to boot..I use a 30" stingray to accent a 30" finnex planted+ on my 20L.. http://i.imgur.com/1BYTYWk.jpg
I'd suggest picking up seachem comprehensive,api leafzone&seachem excel(dose all per instructions on bottles)..should do you well for what your looking to do..

No bulbs to change&very sleek to boot..I use a 30" stingray to accent a 30" finnex planted+ on my 20L.. http://i.imgur.com/1BYTYWk.jpg
I'd suggest picking up seachem comprehensive,api leafzone&seachem excel(dose all per instructions on bottles)..should do you well for what your looking to do..

How necessary are the supplements? As a college student, I'm on a, shall we say, limited budget. Are some more important than others? Are they all necessary? And what about root tabs?

Soooo ballin on a budget ehh...Most of those can be purshased for around $10 individually(depending on what size bottles are purchased)..root tabs would be necessary for heavy root feeders,ie crypts,swords etc..Peabody's Paradise has some very good root tabs on the cheap..the liquid ferts will be necessary for those plants which feed from the water column..

So if I went with java moss and java fern and maybe one other kind of plant- Anubias nana maybe? Would that be good with the liquid fertilizers alone?

Also, what's the difference between Leaf Zone and Flourish? It seems like they both are roughly the same kind of thing

Last edited:
I ended up getting the light you suggested, it looks great! Next I gotta get plants and ferts....

Java fern and java moss and maybe one other kind?

Last edited:
As a student myself, you might want to look into mixing your own ferts and making your own roottabs. Worked like a charm for me. Look up EI and PPS methods.

Sent per three-eyed raven..

As a student myself, you might want to look into mixing your own ferts and making your own roottabs. Worked like a charm for me. Look up EI and PPS methods.

Sent per three-eyed raven..
+1 compared to the liquid ferts the ferts you mix yourself cost a minute amount and are far more effective.

The same goes with the diy root tabs. You can usually find a member on this forum that will sell you some or you can buy the ferts and make them yourself.

Heres a link
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f24/mebbids-diy-root-tabs-308735.html

Well I already bought the liquid ferts, may as well use them and learn how to make my own before I run out. I ended up getting java fern and a pygmy chain sword. I remember something about not being supposed to actually "plant" java fern- is this the case? Tomorrow I'll be picking up some java moss.

By the way, I ended up getting API Leaf Zone, API CO2 booster (for carbon source) and Tetra Florapride. Are those ok substitutes for the other stuff that was recommended?

(Man, it is so weird feeling like I know so little after 11 years of fishkeeping....)

So with the 20" Finnexy stingray LED... how much light actually is that? Would it be considered "low", "medium" or "high" on a standard 10 gallon tank? Depending on where I look I see suggestions it could be any one of those...

Back
Top Bottom