10 galon tank beginner questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Wither a red blue tetra or Colombian. Need at least 6 and a bigger tank. So your stock is 1 of those
2 guppies
2 mollies
3 neons
?
Can someone back me up that this stock isn't that good?
I don't thin you'll notice problems, just the mollies are fish that need more space. It's like some people are very quiet and can work in a small cubical. Others have a huge office and are loud and active. That's like fish, some(bettas) are fish that are alright in small places (5gaons) and aren't extremely active, but neons are alot smaller than the bettas and need a much bigger tank because of activity

That is a Columbian Red Blue Tetra ( stupid common names ) http://www.fishlore.com/profile-redcolombiantetra.htm

They get 2" and can be quite a bully !
Mollies I agree do not belong in a 10g

Your tank looks nice, but we are concerned about the long term health and happiness of your tank.

I thought the silver/red fish looked like a white fin rosy tetra although I may be wrong, its hard to see the picture from my phone

Actually ignore that, sorry, when I managed to make the picture bigger it doesn't look like a white fin rosy tetra

Na there was an earlier picture where the OP asked for a fish I'd lol, from page 2 I think

The guy at the fish store said it's fine, though. He has like 10-20 mollies swimming around a tank that's 10 maybe 20 galons. I just don't get why it's bad if they're swimming around normal as long as I change the water often and make sure ammonia is low, right?

Also @Coursair the Columbian is about 1.5" right now. He seems like a pretty chill fish swims around quick for a while and then hangs out in one spot for the rest of the time never bothers any fish. I was thinking before I should get another columbian to give him a friend in there. Bad idea with how many fish I have in there now?

The guy at the fish store said it's fine, though. He has like 10-20 mollies swimming around a tank that's 10 maybe 20 galons. I just don't get why it's bad if they're swimming around normal as long as I change the water often and make sure ammonia is low, right?

If he has a central system like Petsmart his tank hooked up with other tanks, there is a massive filter and the water goes through a sterilizer as well. What looks like a 10g at my old store was actually over 900g and we also knew we'd lose fish.

If not, they get away with it because it's temporary and another reason fish get stressed and sick easier at a store. It's a holding tank.

Mollies get good sized and poop a lot. They can be pushy in small tanks also. You just got yours, they haven't settled in or tried to breed.

Yours may stunt and die younger. Just water changes won't give them room to grow.

Also @Coursair the Columbian is about 1.5" right now. He seems like a pretty chill fish swims around quick for a while and then hangs out in one spot for the rest of the time never bothers any fish. I was thinking before I should get another columbian to give him a friend in there. Bad idea with how many fish I have in there now?

He hangs out because there is no room to swim.
He hasn't shown his true colors yet, you just got them. I used to sell these fish. Got a ton returned for aggression. Started recommending 30+gallons and 6+ in school for long term success. I now consider them semi-aggressive.

You have no room to add at all. Overstocked means less, not more. At this rate you may crash your tank. But keeping up on water changes will help. 1 more Tetra isn't enough. I'd rather rehome him so he can live with a group.

I'm not trying to be mean, I just want you to enjoy your tank and not have fish start dying on you.
If you rehome the single fish and keep up your water they should survive for now. Maybe for longer. I just hope you don't have a pair of Mollies, no room for babies.

I still don't get why the guy at the store keeps telling me it's completely fine and there's actually room for more, a few more, if I wanted..

But I will take what you guys are saying strongly into consideration. If I do return them (2 mollies and columbian), what would you recommend I replace them with? I don't want a bunch of tiny fish, at least one or two decent sized ones, but up for any suggestions.

The guy at the store doesn't care if your fish live sick and in misery, he wants to sell you product from his store.

Or just plain ignorant. Had a sales person at a big pet retailer sell my nephew 2 mollies and an African dwarf frog for a 5 gallon. She claim that they're small enough to fit

Or just plain ignorant. Had a sales person at a big pet retailer sell my nephew 2 mollies and an African dwarf frog for a 5 gallon. She claim that they're small enough to fit

X2 on that. Not all fish store people are like what we have described but you will find big box chain stores tend to not care and are ignorant more so than the mom and pop businesses. If your starting out new in the hobby, starting a new tank with an unfamiliar species to yourself or starting a tank that your not familiar with stocking options.... Research research research and then goto your LFS's, you will find out quick which ones care and know what they're talking about and which ones want your cash and don't care. Combine your research with what the good ones are saying and you will have a much more enjoyable tank and time in the hobby. Just my 2 cents

Okay then. Looks like they're going back..
Now, since I now know I can't trust what the LFS guy says, what are my options for stock?

What if i were to plant the tank? Would that maybe help?

I don't think that would help with the stocking issue. Just because you need more space. Would help with oxygen in the tank as well but it gets pretty pricy and can be a lot of work from what I hear and have been experiencing. But I'm not a complete expert. Maybe someone else with more experience can chime in

Back
Top Bottom