100% water change

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Marissa_G

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Any advice would be much appreciated!
I had to move my established tank from one house to another very suddenly, this unfortunately meant that there was 100% water change.
I have an established canister filer which was kept full and the gravel wet, but my PH is now 8 and my Nitrates3 10ppm. My poor fish are struggling 3 days later, all lethargic but eating. I've just added Quick Start and Stress Coat plus a little neutral regulator - please help; how can I save all my fish from dying? I've lost one baby platy fish so far.
Length: 1,200cm
Height: 40cm
Width: 45cm
Thanks so much!

Not much you can do. Don't feed them too much, more food means more ammonia so this mini cycle that you have going on will be magnified. Do water changes every week or more often if you have time. Fast growing plants are always helpful at lowering nitrates and beneficial to have anyway, if you don't already have plants. Good luck

Thanks so much for your reply, was adding Quick Start and Stress Coat a good idea? Any recommendations on adding salt?

I've never used quick start or stress coat so I can't comment on that but I wouldn't use them myself if I were in your situation. Salt isn't very good for plants, and doesn't help prevent deaths related to high nitrates or stress. It can prevent infections though. Don't freak out, that baby platy may have just died because weaker baby fish die sometimes anyway

If the tank was cycled and media stayed good. And parameters are now bad. First thing id do is check your new water source parameters.

Back
Top Bottom