10g betta community stocking

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Russ757

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hey guys, im new to this particular forum, but i have 3 years of experiance fish keeping. I currently have a 10g tank that i have set up with 1 male betta (he is extremely docile, he doesnt even flare at his own reflection) and i also have 3 neon tetras (the other 3 died of NTD) anyways, i was wondering if i had room for a school of 4-5 zebra danios? Do you think they are compatable?

Thanks for your replies,
Russ

I am not sure if zebra danios would be suitable for a 10g. I believe they need lots of room to swim? Not for sure, but IIRC then they would be too much for the 10. Also if your betta is calm they might stress him out. JMO

P.s Welcome to AA :D

Thank you.
Thats what i was afraid of, thanks for your quick response.
Any other opinions?

I am not sure if zebra danios would be suitable for a 10g.

Yeah, they swim so much, too much for a 10g, especially with a betta, I think they might nip too, not sure tho. They'd be perfect for a 20 long tho. I put them in mine before I knew this, and there's just two now, but they constantly swim around the tank.

I also don't recommend Zebra danios to add into that 10gal. My opinion FWIW... I would just get another 3-5 neons especially since they're a schooling fish, the tank will look nice with 6-8 neons. And if you have any algae, then add 2 ottos at most. Good luck and give us an update and/or post a pic after your additions :)

i read a lot on multiple sites that bettas go well with tetras and some danios, but 10g is too small for danios, also a lot of sites say that you shouldnt keep multiple schooling fish with bettas because it can stress them out, maybe try otos, dwarf plecos, small cories? its best to keep the betta by itself as the mid and upper dweller and just adding a bottom dweller =]

we are kind of in the same boat, i am about to get a betta when the temp outside cools down a bit, i will be adding 1 or 2 clown plecos for my 20g high depending on how much i really want to spend on DW ^_^ more DW the better hehe

I kept danios in a 10 gal for years. They do swim a lot but I wouldn't keep them with a betta, they are far too active and anytime I tried to keep them with neons, they picked them to death.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom