120 gallon stocking ideas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Moonshayde

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi all,

I'm new to this forum because I really was getting frustrated looking around online for some tank stocking options and just would like a nice forum where I can talk to people with some experience with what I'm trying to do. So decided to give this a try :)

I'm not really new to the hobby, but I am new to keeping a big tropical tank. Up till now I have been keeping fancy goldfish for about 15 years, and I have had a 10g planted tank with a betta for about 2 years and recently its just temporarily housing some cories.

So I have a 120 gallon tank, 48x24x24, almost finished fishless cycling. Filtration is a sump with built in overflow. Lighting: Coralife 48" 2x 28W T5 10K bulbs. Pool filter sand. It currently has a ton of Anubias and Java Fern.

So onto my problem. I have been going around for days with possible tank stocking combinations. I was all set to have a peaceful community tank housing cories, kuhli loaches, fork-tailed rainbow fish and some sort of catfish, maybe pictus or a feather fin. Until I was visiting a new awesome LFS when I saw some Rope Fish. I really really liked them and started doing lots of research to figure out if I could create a new community tank around them.

There seems to be a ton of contradicting info on Rope Fish, but what I found out so far is:
1. They like groups. I was thinking 5-6
2. Smaller fish debatable with whether or not they will be eaten
3. They are good at getting out
4. They can be picked on by aggressive fish
5. Some people find them hard to feed/ compete for food.

As to my preferences:
I really like cat fish
I love loaches
I love anything eel-like. eg: Rope Fish, Dojo Loach, Eels
If possible I would like at least one group of schooling fish

One of my stocking possibilities were:
5 x Ropefish
6x Pictus catfish
15 x Tiger Barb
1 x Striped Raphael Catfish or Featherfin
5 x Panda Cory
5 x Sterbai Cory

I used AQ Advisor as a rough guide.

I would love kuhli loaches but am not sure if they will be eaten or not. I can purchase together while they are small if it would help.

Sorry post was a little long. Just wanted to get specific feedback and provide enough information.

Any suggestions and advice welcome!
icon_biggrin.gif

Welcome!

Lucky for you.. Ropefish owner here ;)

http://i.imgur.com/y2tFqm8.jpg

Let me just say, they are awesome and even better in groups. I only have my one and he still very shy. Groups will help you see them more.

1. As stated they prefer groups.

2. They don't like intense lighting. I have a plant LED on mine and he hides most of the day. Other owners have told me under light that isn't as bright they are more active and willing to come out.

3. Smaller fish can be a danger. Most larger fish will eat anything that fits in their mouth. Any fish over 2-3 inches and you will be fine. These guys are very peaceful though. Mine doesn't even bother the little Otocinclus.

4. Yes they can picky, for months mine only ate LIVE earthworms/nightcrawlers. During this past summer I would hunt worms in the yard so I didn't have to buy them. If you are diligent though, why will train to frozen foods. Mine loves Beefheart. He has yet to accept any flakes or pellets.

5. They do get very long, mine is around 13 inches, but unlike other fish are not super active, your tank size is fine for a nice group of them. Just don't expect to see them every time you walk by the tank.

Hope this helped you learn more about them :)

Caleb

Cory can kill fish that attempt to consume them due to small spurs located near their heads. I would not risk keeping them with Rope Fish who without a doubt eat what will fit into their mouths ,the reason some say you can keep rope fish with smaller species is that ropefish are not good at catching moving fish. When fish are less active at night it can happen to things like small tetra. Anyway don't risk it.

When I had ropefish I kept them with giant Danio. Your tank is bigger than mine was so you have more options. I think things like giant Danio, a gourami, or any other 3 inch+ fish that eats flakes instead of your ropefish's food. Most catfish are far to quick to the food to be kept with ropefish, so I would not keep them together.

IMO you have too many bottom dwellers in here. Competition will be at its highest and the rope fish being so shy it may have trouble eating. I would ditch cats and corys and go with a Pleco of some sort.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Looks fine besides the cories. I'd skip them.

With training rope fish will hand feed. That's what I do for mine if he's being finicky.

Caleb

Thanks so much everyone. I think I will give the cories a miss then. The loaches were not mentioned. Any thoughts on those?

IMO you have too many bottom dwellers in here. Competition will be at its highest and the rope fish being so shy it may have trouble eating. I would ditch cats and corys and go with a Pleco of some sort.

Morasea, I see what you are saying >.< Bottom dwellers are just too epic :D Were you talking about just the raphael or also the pictus? I know they can be pretty zippy. Will they be a problem around feeding time with the rope?

I was thinking of maybe trying the food in the pvc pipe for the rope if other fish become a problem, iv'e heard people having good success with that.

As for the pleco, any suggestions? I just recently had to re-home my 3 1/2 yr old common because of lack of research. So something small would be great. Although I thought plecos were considered bottom dwellers too?

Pleco don't compete for food with ropefish so they are fine. I would recommend the bristle nose pleco.

When choosing bottom dwellers to go with ropefish go with ones that are not likely to eat what you feed the ropefish.

Honestly I wouldn't worry about the ropefish not getting food. Mine hand fed a lot quicker than he took frozen.

Condition them to your hand and he will always get food.

Caleb

Back
Top Bottom