125 Gallon Cover

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FishAddict413

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Do they have covers for a 60" long 125gallon tank or do I have to buy two 30"? I am worried because I just bought VHO lighting and want to keep moisture from the lights due to evaporation. It is a retrofit and sits in my canopy about 5" above the water. Do you think it would be fine without it or should I get a cover?

Thanks.

Does your tank have a center brace?

I used plexi glass for my cover, however it is only covered about 3/4 of the wats, a spot left open in the front for tank maintenane and feeding. I have my lights (reg shop lights and VHO) mounted in my canopy with no ill effects from not having the tank covered completely. I do not have my ballast mounted in the canopy though.

Do you use a bubble wand? If so you will want to cover it, if you don't then I think the choice would be yours.

unless you've got jumpers, there is really no need for anything between the lights and water... the glass lids can potentially cause problems with oxygen exchange and have to be cleaned alot or they'll block alot of light.

Well those are two pretty different opinions. I've thought about this myself. I would like to cover my tank to reduce evaporation, but I also don't want to have to clean it all the time and have thought about whether or not it would interfere with gas exchange. Anyone know for sure? I think I will end up having to get a cover though since my tank is 30 inches long and I'm probably going to buy a 24 inch light.

i can tell you from experience that it *can* cause issues with oxygen exchange, but alot of people use them with no ill effects... I had them on my 150g and they did fine for a while, then i started to see my ph drop for no apparent reason.. i finally figured out that they were the cause, havent had an issue since, and have no issues with evap either. I fill mine about 3/4" from the top of the tank when i do my weekly water change, and by the time im ready to do the next one a week later, the trim is still hiding the water level, maybe losing 1/4" over the week... thats just my experience with them, but everybody has different opinions, and experiences

Back
Top Bottom