125g build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fred

Aquarium Advice Freak
So my MTS syndrome is kicking into full swing :). I'm looking at upgrading a) because my clown loach needs a bigger tank and b) I want to get my silver dollars out of my 55g so I can have a planted high light tank. So here's my question (so you know I am in the very beginning research stage here). I'm wondering how my stocking sounds so far...I currently have one clown loach and 3 silver dollars in my 55 (who will be moved to my 125g) . I was thinking about having a clown loach school of 5, getting 2 more silver dollars and then...??? Not sure where to go after that? Will 5 clown loaches be okay in a 125g? Any advice or opinions or whatever welcomed :D

I would keep it to three clown loaches. Add three silver dollars so they have a school of five. What type of silver dollars are they?

Have you bought anything for the 125 yet? Any equipment at all?

Fishguy2727 said:
I would keep it to three clown loaches. Add three silver dollars so they have a school of five. What type of silver dollars are they?

Have you bought anything for the 125 yet? Any equipment at all?

I have nothing yet, just looking to find a deal (hopefully). I do have some decor though. Not sure how I'm gonna set it up but I have a pirate ship and some fake plants from my 55g. My silver dollars are the regular kind (I think Metynnis Schreitmulleri). I currently have angels, various tetras (in my 44g) and then the fish above and tiger barbs in my 55g. I want to try a new fish. I love the looks of Mollies, would they work? How's about bala sharks, I know they get big too..maybe too aggressive?

Bala sharks are too jumpy, they stress out themselves and everything else in the tank.

That is a good silver dollar species, they only get to about 6".

What filtration are you planning on?

I'll probably stick with what I know, fluval canister filter. I was thinking of getting 2 (rated for the tank of course) and having it at each end of the tank.

I've been looking on kijiijii, my best bet would be to find someone leaving the hobby and selling their set up. I've come across alot of sw set ups, but so far nothing that suits me....yet :)

I would do a Fluval FX5 on that tank, you wouldn't have to worry about having enough filtration ever again.

What I have learned to do with my tanks:
Paint the back. I prefer black, dark is better than a light color.
Use sand as a substrate. It is a lot cleaner, much more natural, and looks better. I only use and recommend Estes' Ultra Reef (not a true marine sand so it won't mess with any chemistry).
The better you setup a tank the easier it is to maintain.

Would I only need one then? I like the idea of sand versus gravel substrate, I like a natural looking environment. What kind of paint do you use? I had no idea you could do that!

Yes, one FX5 would be more than adequate.

I have used spray paint, latex interior paint form Home Depot, and acrylic craft paint from Wal-Mart. They all work. Any of them can scratch off if scraped accidentally so just be careful. If you like the colors of the acrylic paint that is a good one. The latex paint is good too, ot if you want an odd color. Then just use a roller on either one.

Paint will look MUCH better. It doesn't allow for any water spots or anything, just a nice uniform look to the tank.

I'm all stoked about this painting idea!! I think I'm going to paint my 55g black now. With my new lights, my fish will look gorgeous. Thanks so much for all your input!!!

Back
Top Bottom