135 build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Super_Blueberry

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Got a 135g but didn’t want to use the 2x4 skeleton stand, so I built my own and just finished it over the weekend. In the meantime I’ve been hunting driftwood and trying to come up with a vision for the tank. I was able to do a dry run off the ‘scape last night and I’m just curious what you all think.

Attachments

• IMG_6756.jpg
    IMG_6756.jpg
    250.9 KB · Views: 13
Got a 135g but didn’t want to use the 2x4 skeleton stand, so I built my own and just finished it over the weekend. In the meantime I’ve been hunting driftwood and trying to come up with a vision for the tank. I was able to do a dry run off the ‘scape last night and I’m just curious what you all think.

Looks good for some fish species, bad for others. What is your intended stock list?

Unknown at the moment, other than I want them larger rather than smaller, like 6”+. A large school possibly. Leaning towards a school of pictus or Petricola cats.

Unknown at the moment, other than I want them larger rather than smaller, like 6”+. A large school possibly. Leaning towards a school of pictus or Petricola cats.

Then it's good for the pictus because they like open space for swimming but you would need more hiding spots for the Synodontis if there are a lot of them. They like hiding spots more than the Pictus do. ( Note that these Synodontis do not get to 6" and the Pictus max out at 6" in the wild so you will have them for quite a while for them to get to that size. :whistle: )
For what it's worth, a nice school of Pictus, 12-15+ fish, is an amazing sight to see as they generally school together and when it's feeding time, they become a "whirling dervish" of spots and antennae during the frenzy. A real competitor to Piranha in the feeding frenzy department. ;) LOL

Getting some ideas for stock. ~8 pictus cats, 2-3 blue acaras, 6-8 angels, a single black ghost knifefish, larger school of some flavor of rainbows. I already have a heavily planted jungle community, so I’m trying to do something different with this one. I’ll have some live plants, but going for the less is more look.

(y)(y)

Just a thought here: you may need to spot feed the black ghost or feed him at night ( when they are more active) because the pictus are going to make it a little difficult for him to get food. :whistle:

Just a quick update for those interested. Got everything put together, starting to move plants over, and maybe tomorrow I’ll tear down my temporary 55, split the residents between the 100 and the 135, and get the plants I want and the filter media moved over.

Attachments

• IMG_6879.jpg
    IMG_6879.jpg
    249.1 KB · Views: 6
Up and running. Current stock:
4 Electric Blue Acaras
7 Angels
6 Australian Rainbows
6 Kribs
12 Scissortails
6 Cherry Barbs

Scissors and Cherries I moved from the 55g this tank replaced.

Still looking at getting a school of pictus, and debating on the ghost knife since they hide and I don’t really want glass tubes to trick it.

Any other suggestions on a fun centerpiece?

Attachments

• IMG_6979.jpg
    IMG_6979.jpg
    250.6 KB · Views: 4
You said you didn't want the whole planted jungle look so the Angels are going to take over the whole midwater part of the tank since there is not much in the way of separation for multiple homes. They will become your centerpiece fish. Not much else large will do well without more decor that reaches into the middle to top of the tank. :whistle:

Back
Top Bottom