15 gallon Heaxgon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cuse92

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a 15 gallon heaxgon tank that is tall. I'm kinda wondering what trhe possibilties are for it.

Really depends on what you're looking to do. As long as you can get some good lighting you can do a small planted tank, or a small community tank with some tetras and cory's perhaps, or goldfish, or beta or other small community fish if you go freshwater. Theres lots of varities you could choose from, Add slowly though.

I know theres lots of nano sw tanks out there as well. Although a hexagon shape may not be the best for most SW fish, you could go into doing a sw nano reef, though a bit more work with smaller tanks, check out the nano section if you're interested in that :)

welcome, btw!

a goldfish would not be a good choice, to small. A small planted community would be fine, though the number of fish would be small because of the smaller surface area. A small SW would be fine IMO with just one or two fish, like a clown and a goby. either works, and hexes make nice reefs IMO

Thanks I appreciate it. Im looking towards saltwater. I just want a goby and someother small fish. I mainly am looking for some interesting inverts.

I meant more along the lines of one comet or feeder goldfish, not a shoal / school ;) I shoulda worded that a little better, sounded like I meant a goldfish community.

Anyway, great idea on the nano! Ill let the experts step in for this one. Make sure you have good lighting and do some research on what you'd like Most soft corals from what I read, especially things like mushrooms are good starter corals. I dont have any corals yet, but thats in my to do list eventually. Also, you could certainly get away with a few sw snails, and maybe a shrimp or two. Lots of interesting things out there. I love my clown and cleaner shrimp. Awsome to watch.

Feel free to ask lots of questions.. lots of helpful people!

not to be rude, but suggesting a commet (feeders usually are commets) is one of the worst things you can do, as they grow to be very large (8 inches +) fish, though people dont realize it ;)

Hmm, Sorry. Just trying to help :) I had one in 5 gal hex for several years, never got more than about 2-3 inches. I know they can live several years at this size, but not to their full potential and lifespan i'm sure, so Ideally, its probably not the best for a smaller tank long term. (although I know they're pretty good starter fish) They could live in that aquarium for a few years ( by itself ), especially if you had planned to get a larger or transfer to a pond. So technically you could, but as with any fish in this hobby, research is a must before, to see what works best for you. Each fish / experience is different.

Im not trying to make this a goldfish topic though. I certainly dont know everything about fish for sure, and im constantly learning, but just offering suggestions from what i've had luck with and experience with :)

Anyway, back to answering the original question.. theres a few small species that would work well in a 15 gal. maybe one or two of the following: Gobies, blennies, clowns ( common or percula ) royal gamma, firefish, etc.

Make sure to keep a good eye on your water parameters as they can fluctuate quickly in a small tank.

good luck :)

just dont do two gobies, blennies, royals, or firefish as if you have two of those (unless they are a mated pair, but in this small a tank I wouldnt even do it then) they will fight :)

Im looking to do a reef with lower matinence corals. Any suggestions on type?

Also I am looking for a active fish to go along with a goby. Something that will swim between the rocks.

Im looking to do a reef with lower matinence corals. Any suggestions on type?

Also I am looking for a active fish to go along with a goby. Something that will swim between the rocks.

You could do a firefish with the goby they are interesting and would do well in your tank.

As for corals in your tank you will be limited by the amount of lighting you plan to use. I see an awesome 15g zoa farm. They are colorful and will do well with most lighting conditions.

Back
Top Bottom