150gal mag-drive pump

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Alexrd09

Aquarium Advice Activist
I am looking to get a pump for my 150gal tank. It has to pump about 7ft up into the tank. I am thinking that I will need to pump about 1500gph so what pumps would be the best taking in mind that I am on a tight budget?

A Mag drive 9.5 will pump at a rate of 660gph at 7' of headloss. A mag7 will pump 350gph at the same headloss.

Either will suit your needs. Ideally you want 2-3x circulation of your tank volume between your sump and DT. Please note this is not the same as total tank circulation...just between your sump and DT. 2-3x is a great turnover for your skimmer.

Mag7 is aroudn $80 and uses 1/2" pipe. Mag9.5 is around $100 and uses 3/4" pipe. I'd go with a Mag 9.5 and throttle it back some if you need to.

7' of headloss is pretty high. Is your sump in the basement? Or is your DT up high?

My DTis just up high. So you think a 9.5 will do the job? I'm also trying to avoid having to use power heads they can become unsightly.

I have a mag 9.5 with just under 6ft of head. Wish I went little more. Doesn't push as much as I would like. I have four outputs into tank setup with scwd wave maker. I would go more than you think then you can always plumb a T off return line with ball valve to divert some water back into sump if too much for your overflow

My DTis just up high. So you think a 9.5 will do the job? I'm also trying to avoid having to use power heads they can become unsightly.

I'd go with the 9.5. if you wanted to do a 2-3x turnover for your sump. However, with that said you'll still need more circulation for your tank with either power heads or a closed loop system.

You can choose to get a larger pump to provide more circulation to your tank. This however, would be at a detriment to your skimmer.

Personally, I'd get a 9.5 and get a couple powerheads for a healthier tank.

Back
Top Bottom