1g stocking suggestion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tentacles

Aquarium Advice Regular
I picked up a 1gallon not so standard style pentagon shaped tank, pretty cool looking with a lighted hood an undergravel filter with bubbles and some gravel for 10bucks off a local classified. Just wanted something to stick on my desk, what kind of fish should I look to put in there, I only want one or two, standard maintenance fish in room temp water. The hood keeps it at about 75. Thanks

I wouldn't be too concerned with it being too small for a betta like many people here would say, although you may have too much current. Bettas like to have fairly stagnant areas to sit in, so if your filter is giving you decent current in all areas of the tank, the betta could be very uncomfortable.

You could put 2 guppies in there instead of the betta. You could probably get 1 or 2 dwarf platys, but I think some places incorrectly label fish as dwarf platys when they get well over 1" long. You could fit 2 endler's in there if you can find them.

There are some snails you could get, but a mystery snail probably isn't going to cruise around the walls as much as it would in a larger tank with wider walls.

A few shrimp would work, but most of the gost shrimp you'll find aren't going to last very long. They usually just die on their own after a few months (maybe aquarium salt would help that). Cherry red shrimp are good if you can find them.

If it was my tank I'd get a koi personally.

All kidding aside I would stick to inverts in that tank. The hexagonal shape, while cool looking, really doesn't offer a lot of swimming space.

I would get one or two ghost shrimp and a real nice male guppy. maybe a piece of "lucky bamboo" sticking out the back make it look really nice IMO.

WaterPond said:
lucky bamboo killed my betta, so i would think it would kill any other fish too.

no kidding mine have been going strong now. I exspecially like it in a thread on another forum about lucky bamboo all over the back of his tank I can get you the link if you like to read it.

Hey onah a fellow Texan I see. Well Howdy here is a link to his tank I really think it is so neat looking.

His name is Kmuda he is on the advice team on Oscarfish.com he has some really neat post about his tank.

Kmuda said:
While I posted this in a different forum, I should post it here as well. The below pic is of the top back of my tank. You can see the Lucky Bamboo on either side.

And from the front.

I hope your desk is very sturdy because eventhough you don't have a very huge tank, it can still get a bit heavy. Water weighs about 10 Lbs per gallon, plus there's probably 15-20 Lbs of gravel in the bottom.

water weights in at about 8.1lbs per gallon, so basically, if you can throw a college lvl text book on the desk, it can hold a 1 gallon fish tank. and prolly a good bit more actually.

Back
Top Bottom