1st cichlid tank-will these work?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Buddy40

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I am starting my first cichlid tank and was wondering if I would have problems with these type of fish in it (it is 135 gallon): 1 electric blue ram, 1 fire mouth, 1 red and black blood parrot, and 1 Black ghost knife. It will be planted and have lots of hiding places for them (I was thinking 10 to 12 hiding spots)

I dont specialize in american cichlids but thought id give my input. I do know the parrot will get quite large, but its a big tank so no problem there. The rams dont get very big which may cause a problem in the future because ive seen some pretty agressive firemouths, but thats what the hiding spaces are for. And as far as ghost knofe fish, We have a few at my
Job, we never see them they are hiders and if u have plenty of hiding space you will probably never see it, lol.
Imo i would be careful with the rams and the firemouth, it can be done in a large tank but the smaller rams might be in trouble when the firemouth gets larger. If you want it to work, i recommend adding rams first. This way they claim territory so when you add others the rams
Will be safe... As stated
Above i do not specialize on american cichlids
Just basing this on what im slowly
Learning
At work so if im wrong nicley tell me i dont need ppl givin me a hard time
Thanks hope im helpful

In a 135? Mix some of these.
Oscar
Dempsey
Green terror
Firemouth
Salvini
Jag
Texas
Severum.

135 gives you a good amount of workable space (and obviously dont add all of these). Just look into ones you like and i and many others can help you with sizing and the amount of fish to put in.

I adopted an american cichlid tank from friends. It came with 2 severums and a jack dempsey x texas cichlid. The jack dempsey is pretty. They don't do much other then just hang out. To me they're kinda boring, but I"m used to my mbunas

Buddy40 said:
I am starting my first cichlid tank and was wondering if I would have problems with these type of fish in it (it is 135 gallon): 1 electric blue ram, 1 fire mouth, 1 red and black blood parrot, and 1 Black ghost knife. It will be planted and have lots of hiding places for them (I was thinking 10 to 12 hiding spots)

Welcome to AA :) the biggest concern with this setup would be the ram getting bullied. They are already known to be finicky and die unexpectedly so throwing then into that setup is just asking for failure. The fire mouth and parrot may even have themselves a few disputes but in that size tank should subside after territories are drawn (unless ones much larger then the other). This is a bit of a miss match group of fish for your tank... Do you have these fish already? If not what is your favorite of the fish you named and we will help you with an ideal stock list to help with aggression since cichlids can be some rough SOBs lol

Well I just have my BGK, all the others I have been looking at. From what I've read, it said all the fish that I want are only aggressive when they are mating. My girlfriend wants the blue ram, and I want the others. I just want a tank that has color and fish that won't beat up my BGK (he is around 7-8 inches). Thanks for commenting this is something I've wanted to do for awhile and I've been reading up on cichlids for the past 2 months.

Back
Top Bottom