2.5g with Marineland LED

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

James_in_MN

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I needed to add some more eco-complete to my 20g high tank, so I bought another bag. I can't really use all of it in my tank, so I decided I'd try to use some of it in another.

My 10g tank has new sand in it, and my 5g is a RCS breeder with a sandy bottom, so I won't be changing those. Unfortunately, my 2.5g tank is acrylic, and I've honestly been contemplating getting rid of it, so that wouldn't work well either.

As I grabbed a few ghost shrimp for my 20g (bioload already at max) at a local PetSmart, I noticed that they had a 2.5g standard glass tank with a glass canopy for under $15. And, of course, since all of us on the boards have MTS, I just had to buy it. :D

One other item that I ended up grabbing was a Marineland LED that is exactly the same length as the tank, and will fit it perfectly. One thing I'm not 100% certain of is what type of plants that would allow me to grow in the tank. I have a Marineland 600 lumen light on my 20g high, and that seems to allow me to grow some moderate light plants like Amazon swords. Will this one allow me that amount of flexibility.

Here's the light.

LED Aquarium Light by Marineland Upgrade your current tank lighting!

What I plan on putting in this tank, once it's set up, would be a pair or school of micro fish and a few shrimp. Maybe a snail, but probably not.

tank diameters: 12in L x 6in D x 8in H

According to the spec sheet, the LEDs are only .11 watts each, and 310 lumens@12". That is not much light.

However, over a 2.5 it might grow some low and medium light plants. Worth a try. The depth is minimal, so PAR loss that most low powered LEDs experience won't be an issue.

BLEH!

I just can't justify a 2.5g period! :ROFLMAO:

I'm taking it back and getting another 5.5g tank instead. :dance:

I think I'd even be able to use up all of the eco-complete if I did.

Back
Top Bottom