20 gal high planted swap

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mr.waffles1842

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hi all! ive decided to switch from being a fake plant tank with 3 real plants to a full planted tank. Here's the dealio. I have gravel instead of sand. I have a low llight fixture (thats cool cuz i just want med to low light plants). I have some great DW, and rock caves. On the DW is java moss. Id like to have my Plants in a jungle like pattern, with an anubias forest and clusters of plants scattered throughout the tank. I know next to nothing about ferts and what to do with yellow plants. Oh, and ive still got tannins in my water. So far, my other planted tanks are pretty good.

Can't wait to see how this turns out! I myself have a 20gal tall, it was non-planted but after 3 small low-light plants and the fish loving them.... I couldn't help but go fully planted! :D

Alright I'll try and help you out some here if I can :cool:.

So.... you will not be able to grow too many plants due to your lighting, you might want to check out your hood and see if you can pick up a daylight plant growing bulb from Homedepot or Walmart (very cheap and work alright lol what I did when I started before my new fixture). If you want more plants you might want to look into a new fixture IMO it is very worth it :D. But Java Ferns and Anubias for you would be the way to go if your looking for lowlighted plants, and honestly I like them myself very good starting plant. (Now down the road just like me you might end up going all out because it's awesome and way too much fun with planted tanks! Just wait till you see growth and roots!)

For your gravel now it will be fine but I would pick up a bag of Seachem Flourite or a substrate like it for roots to get their Nutrients, makes them very happy :). You can also mix this with your gravel you have now! What I did and my plants love it!

Now if you want strong plant growth and speed up the process just alittle bit you can look into a CO2 system. Now what I have is just a DIY CO2 and it works just fine for a 20 gallon tank. (If you need pics or help with it I'll gladly provide. This was fun to do since im a crafty person lol.)

If you have any other questions just let me know. Good luck with your tank! :D

You can grow plants in gravel. Root feeders might not like it as much.
Easy choices :
Anubias
Java Ferns
Bolbitis
Mosses
All can be tied or attached to wood or rocks.

I manage to keep Amazon Swords alive in gravel. I did add Osmocote Plus root caps.

I use screw in CFLs. Sideways bulbs do lose a lot of light. If you want to take the top off you can use a desk lamp or two with CFLs.

It's not necessary, but I aim for 6,500K bulbs. Wattage will depend on how you mount the light and how far from the water.

Currently in a 5g gravel tank I have Crypts, Amazon Swords, Java Ferns, Amazon Frogbit, and Anubias, plus a couple of mystery plants.

My tanks are all under 10g so are much easier to light.

If you want to swap substrate I'm a fan of sand, but Eco Complete or Flourite would work also. You can always pot some plants to start and hide the pots with rocks or wood.

Hmmm... So far in the past ive been relying on not having any problems, and its payed off.. Until the 20... Here's going to be my checklist.

-Get rid of the lingering tannins in my water
-Take out the mystery plant thats been annoying me
-shop around for a good cheap light fixture (Im broke, so ill have to rely on LFS)
-Start gettiing some ideas on ferts (i have api root tabs that ive never even opened, at the bottom of my tank cabinent. open to suggestions)
-Read up on trimming

Lets change the name of this thread to "20 gal
high planted swap AND way to pick up knowledge while seeming you at least know what ferts means" Id appreciate any help, and already do appreciate the help given to me.

mr.waffles1842 said:
Hmmm... So far in the past ive been relying on not having any problems, and its payed off.. Until the 20... Here's going to be my checklist.

-Get rid of the lingering tannins in my water
-Take out the mystery plant thats been annoying me
-shop around for a good cheap light fixture (Im broke, so ill have to rely on LFS)
-Start gettiing some ideas on ferts (i have api root tabs that ive never even opened, at the bottom of my tank cabinent. open to suggestions)
-Read up on trimming

Lets change the name of this thread to "20 gal
high planted swap AND way to pick up knowledge while seeming you at least know what ferts means" Id appreciate any help, and already do appreciate the help given to me.

Find out if there is a Club near you !!!
I almost cried at the first auction when tanks and lights were sold SOOOO cheap !! And the fish and the plants :)

I'm lucky, I'm in an Aquatic Plant Club and I have 3 major Aquarium Clubs an hour in each direction.
San Francisco
San Jose
Sacramento

Tina
SFBAAPS member
Soon to join
SFAS and SVAS

Back
Top Bottom