20 Gallon overstocked?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SamKarno

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi,

I'm new around here and have really found this site helpful, i just browse the forums and learn so much.

I've had fish in my tank (my first!) for 2 months (did the full cycle with Zebra Danios).

I have semi planted 20 Gallon (Blue Planet) Hex tall tank. with inbuilt filter. Temp is at 25c/77f.

I feed them flakes in the AM and alternate between frozen blood worms and brine shrimp in the PM.

I do weekly water changes. Ammonia 0, Nitrite 0, PH 7, GH/KH 3-8

What do you think...?

2 mollies
1 platy (+1 fry)
3 guppies
3 zebra Danios
2 Bronze corys
1 silver/black angel
1 Red tail shark
1 blue Gourami
1 Blue Ram
2 Khuli Loaches

(I actually would like to switch my Danios for a 4/5 rummynoses and also add a few Hatchets, as well...)

Your thoughts, suggestions? Thanks!!

You can see a video of my tank here (w/o the ram).

Its ok at the moment I think but once the fish start growing, like your Angel then its going to be quickly over stocked. These guys can grow to be 12" and going off the myth "inch per galon" theres more than half of your stock level gone with that. I know the corys should be generally in groups of 4+ but we had 2 for a while and they were happy all day long :) ...

Cool looking tank though. Just keep an eye on the levels of the tank as the fish get bigger they produce more waste and can become more aggressive.

Your Loaches will become 8cm minimum probs so you've roughly stocked your tank with the loaches and angel fish. Like I say its ok for the moment but possibly a bigger tank in the not too distant future? If not then id prioritise your fishies and give back some of the ones you care less for.

your stocking is fine (for now.......)
In fact, you are fully stocked and I wouldn't recommend getting any more fish.
You can switch your zebra danios to rummynose/hatchets :)

That video really highlights the limited swimming room, tall hex tanks provide. There is not much surface area at all and unless your fish grow tall, they will feel cramped.

Well must get at least 6 rummys minumum not sure bout the hatchets. You have no room for them though

Hi there,

I agree with the above posts. Before you do anything or add anything I'd rehome the mollies, angel, red tail shark and blue gourami, all can easily outgrow the tank.

Tank looks way bigger then a 20 gal in the video! Start with at least the angel and shark before anything else

I agree that you are overstocked. The ram needs more open floor space, so I would re-home him as well as the shark and angel. Corys should be in larger groups, but since the footprint of that tank is small, I would re-home the bronze corys and get a larger group of pygmy corys.

Hi,

I'm new around here and have really found this site helpful, i just browse the forums and learn so much.

I've had fish in my tank (my first!) for 2 months (did the full cycle with Zebra Danios).

I have semi planted 20 Gallon (Blue Planet) Hex tall tank. with inbuilt filter. Temp is at 25c/77f.

I feed them flakes in the AM and alternate between frozen blood worms and brine shrimp in the PM.

I do weekly water changes. Ammonia 0, Nitrite 0, PH 7, GH/KH 3-8

What do you think...?

2 mollies - min. 29 gals
1 platy (+1 fry) - min. 10 gals
3 guppies - min. 10 gals
3 zebra Danios - min. 29 gals school of atleast 6
2 Bronze corys - min. 29 gals shoal of 4-6
1 silver/black angel - min. 29 gals
1 Red tail shark - min. 55 gals
1 blue Gourami - min. 55 gals
1 Blue Ram - min. 20 gals
2 Khuli Loaches - min. 10 gals group of atleast 5

(I actually would like to switch my Danios for a 4/5 rummynoses and also add a few Hatchets, as well...)

Your thoughts, suggestions? Thanks!!

You can see a video of my tank here (w/o the ram).

I made notes above in blue. If you eliminate all the fish that aren't suitable for a 20 gal tank, and up the kuhli's to atleast 5, the tank would be stocked nicely with room for a few more of the livebearers or 6 of a smaller schooling fish, like the rummynose or hatchets.

Thanks. I will have to rethink all of this.... This morning, one of my guppies (snakeskin) is losing color and 'resting' on the bottom, seems like he's gasping... water levels are fine. the other 2 guppies are hovering over him trying to get him going, it looks like he's on the way out... dont no why...

Back
Top Bottom