20 Gallon Ram Cichlid?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Diamonte

Aquarium Advice Activist
I starting my 20 gallon tank back put and this time I'm going for some color fish. I really want to keep a pair OR one ram cichlid. But on top of that could I keep a betta, and dwarf gourami with the ram? Please help which stocking is ok. 20 Gallon Tall Planted Plenty of Hiding Spaces For Everyone

Pair (male and female)Ram Cichlids
1 male betta
1 gourami
3 bottom feeders

Or

Pair or 1 Ram Cichlid
Male Betta or Dwarf Gourami
3 bottom feeders
6 schooling fish

Personally I'd leave out the Betta. You never know how they are going to react.

My guess a Betta in the same tank as a pair of Rams trying to spawn won't end well for the Betta as bettas are territorial as well.

Caleb

What bottom feeders do you plan on? Most of the best ones for a 20 gallon are best in schools of 5.

For bottom dwellers I was thinking of Cory Catfish.... Any other suggestion for that?

Maybe a Fiddler Crab?

Most corydora will work.

I believe fiddler crabs are brackish? Someone feel free to correct me.

Caleb

The betta and gourami option is a no.

I have a single ram with a female betta in my 16g, along with some other fish. No issues.

In a 20 high I'd go with a group of kuhlis or one of the small cories, pygmaeus or habrosus.

I've heard of rams stressing cory cats to death when the rams are guarding eggs. Corys wouldn't leave the rams alone?

I personally wouldn't do a pair of rams in a community type setting but in general cories won't bother them.

You could do 5 or 6 cories (they need at least that many) and leave out the betta.

No fiddler crab they need brackish water and access to dry land.

Back
Top Bottom