20G High Build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

th08tu

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hey again everybody, so after the recent crash of my 20 gallon reef tank, I've decided that instead of investing more money into a failing project, I would try my hand at a planted tank.

So here is what I have:

- 20 Gallon display tank
- 10 gallon sump fuge with return
- HOB overflow from display
- Kora nano powerhead
- 2 15 W heaters
- 24" 2 X 18W T5HO (1 10000K, 1 Actinic)
- 24" 65W Coralife PC (10000K)
- Original Hood from 10 gallon, with 2 life-glo screw in PC bulbs over sump
- 7 Kg Flourite Black
- Lava rocks

as of right now I am setting up a small 2.5 gallon pico reef to house the rest of my reef inhabitants, which aren't that many, so by tomorrow I should have pictures up of the new setup in the display. What I am looking for here is some ideas on what to do with the sump/fuge, whether I just leave it as it is, and put some RCS in it to help filter, or convert it to a wet/dry system, or build in another sort of filter. Also I know the lighting is fairly high, so I am probably going to be doing a DIY co2 setup at first and maybe a proper system down the road, however my question is about diffusing the CO2 into the water. I had a few ideas, in that I could put a small wooden diffuser in the substrate so that it would come up through the sand, or I could put it onto the intake of the return pump from the sump, which would allow it to be "chopped" up before it went into the display tank. Since I am starting from scratch I don't mind going a little slower, my goal would be to have a few plants and maybe fish in it by the end of Feb, so lots of time right now...

Does anybody have any tips, ideas, suggestions, hardware ideas, etc that would be of help? I am new to the planted tanks, but started out with freshwater, and then moved to salt two years ago. Thanks everybody hope to hear from you soon!

As promised here are the pics. Today I tore down the 20 gallon reef, scrubbed out the tank, cleaned out the sump, and painted the back glass black.
Then I put in the flourite black, two bags and slightly angled it, making it a little deeper at the back. Next I placed a few lava rocks in the tank, which were "live" in the reef tank, so I am hoping the die-off from that will start my cycle.
Then I took three baskets of glosso, separated it, and planted it in the tank. Finally I filled the tank and got everything running. Now I just wait...

img_1198120_0_9763e585975752601efae9d023a46518.jpg

img_1198120_1_db8c503fb2df208d5d3324133eb9b131.jpg

Look forward to any comments! or suggestions!

Back
Top Bottom