20H gallon, how does this sound?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

da9k1ne

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
1 angelfish
6-8 cardinal tetras
4-5 cory's
2 dwarf gouramis

or....

a dwarf puffer tank, but i do not know much about this...

how many puffers could i have in the 20H?

I would skip on the Angelfish, but everything else looks great! I have kept a single angel in my 29g, and a pair of angels in my 29g, and i would never put them in anything smaller.

i dont know how large a 20H (what does "H" mean) but for all those fish in the first list i would suggest a 30 gallon tank and if you leave out thhe angel about a 20 gallon tank. i dont know much about puffer fish but i do know they are very aggresive fish and need salty water when fully grown. they also come in a variety of sizes so it also matters what kind of puffer fish you want to have. i have known of many people that have had neons or cardinal tetras in with angels and done just fine, but when my mom had an angel she put some cardinals (3) in with her (the angel fish) and she ate them all in thirty minutes. this doesnt always happen but it is always a possibility. there is a couple of kinds of dwarf puffers what kind are you planning on getting? oh and if you go that route and all you have in the tank is puffers then you can stretch the normal limits (you can do this with all species tanks)

oh so it means its a 20 gallon high aquirum oh ok i got it thanks.

Yeah then i would have to agree with Mike an angel wouldnt be a good fish for the aquirum they require more room. but besides that i think your first list is good. You could also add maybe another cory or 2 more cardinals or another gourami. That would be fine as long as you keep your PWC's up. and you make sure you keep tank clean. i would suggest you stick with your first list minus the angel and maybe get a otto or 2.

could i take out the angel and put two gbr's in there?
or would that be too much.

i want some gbr's in there, or just a pure cichlid tank really.

could i take out the angel and put two gbr's in there?
or would that be too much.

i want some gbr's in there, or just a pure cichlid tank really.
What are the tank dimensions? as the surface area(length x width) is most important for most fish IMO.

So if its the same footprint as a 15G, then stock it like a 15G. I deff would not put 4 3"+ fish(ones that can be territorial) in a 15G thats just me
Fish Aquarium and Tank* Sizes and Characteristics, starting an aquarium, buying equipment, choosing tanks

If you decided to go with Dwarf Pufferfish, you'd probably want to go with a species aquarium. Conservative recommendations would be 5 gallons per fish, though some actually add twice that many without problems. Dwarf Pufferfish are one of the few (possibly only) puffers that are actually a freshwater fish for the entire length of their lives. You'll also want to make sure to plant heavily (live or fake plants) so that there's lots to explore to keep them from getting bored. They have really great personalities. Oh and don't forget to provide lots of pond snails for them to keep their teeth ground down.

A pair of rams, 6 smaller cories(panda, julii, or dwarves even), and 6 tetras or so.

My 20H has 2 female rams, 6 pristella tetras, an otocinclus, 6 striata loaches, and 6 baby BN plecos. The plecos are getting booted out ASAP as I think the tank is busting at the seams. I'm filtering it with an AC 50, and I have a Maxijett 600 circulating water.

2 rams
4 dwarf cories
10 cardinal tetras.

will that be okay?

this is how i'd add them after the tank was ready, and cycled.

10 tetras, wait a week.
4 cories, wait.
the 2 rams (how long should i wait for the rams)

8 cardinals
5 corys ( small like the gereen or peppered corys)
2 GBR's
29 gallon

sounds good. IMO You could get a trio of rams (1male 2females).

if you want an all chichlid tank i would suggest shell dwellers, Aspitos, and rams.

2 rams
4 dwarf cories
10 cardinal tetras.

will that be okay?

this is how i'd add them after the tank was ready, and cycled.

10 tetras, wait a week.
4 cories, wait.
the 2 rams (how long should i wait for the rams)
Yes those fish would be fine. I would agree with mike wait a while (2 or 3 weeks) between adding new fish just to make sure your fish arent sick. it would be a shame to buy fish not know their sick buy more and end up having a bunch of lifeless fish.

Back
Top Bottom