25 Gallon tank setup (newbie)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Charlie.636

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi, new here! Really want to set up a reef tank for my son. He loves clown fish and small crabs and shrimp. I have a 25 gallon tank. Not sure what the heater and filter pump are. (It was given to me) I have hydrometer and few other accessories. Ill post a couple pictures of what I have. Any help would be much appreciated.

Attachments

• image-1922223719.jpg
    image-1922223719.jpg
    118 KB · Views: 92
  • image-14761773.jpg
    image-14761773.jpg
    139.8 KB · Views: 91
Have a good read on here about how to set up a saltwater tank and in particular how to cycle it. Best thing to do is plenty of research! will it just be fish only? Or corals? I would suggest fish only to start until you get the hang of things. As a rule saltwater is a little more time consuming and can be expensive so patience is the key. Not sure about that filter but I would say you will need a power head too for water movement. Invest in a good sw test kit and a refractometer for measuring salinity (hydrometers are in accurate) also research where you will get your water from, tap water is a no no I am afraid. You can buy ro-di water or make your own... A single clown will be fine with perhaps another small fish along with your shrimp and crabs... Any other questions just ask!

Thank you for the links! I am doing a lot of reading. I need a power head for current. I forgot to mention I'm going to use LR. What is your input on live sand?

Then introduce some coral and cleaners.

How can I make my own RO-DI water?

Thank you for the links! I am doing a lot of reading. I need a power head for current. I forgot to mention I'm going to use LR. What is your input on live sand?

Then introduce some coral and cleaners.

How can I make my own RO-DI water?

You don't "need" live sand. You can use regular sand or crushed coral. I used live sand because well... I wanted to lol and I liked the fact that there was no rinsing involved.

Not sure on how to make a RO/DI unit so I'm of no help there sorry...

Yeah rinsing don't sound fun. Any advice on mixing the salt for a 25 gallon tank??

Yeah rinsing don't sound fun. Any advice on mixing the salt for a 25 gallon tank??

Get a cheap power head and heater. Mix in a 5 gallon bucket the desired amount for your water change. Check your pH, salinity and try and temp match the best ya can :)

Thank you very much for your help.

The tank I have is a 24x14x12. Is that a 20g or 25g?

Back
Top Bottom