25g stocking

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Achtemichuk

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey, I have a 25g tank with 3 zebra danios, 3 neon tetras, 2 African dwarf frogs, 1 hillstream loach and 4 platys. I'm looking at getting more platys, but don't want to overstock my tank. Any advice on if I can handle more and if so, how many? (two of my platys are previous fry and both turned out to be males, alongside another male platy, so I'm trying to up the female ratio)
Thanks!

I have a 25 gallon tank with about 30 fish in it including 2 platies. Don't worry another 2 platies won't hurt.

Davidsoccer22 said:
I have a 25 gallon tank with about 30 fish in it including 2 platies. Don't worry another 2 platies won't hurt.

You have 25 fish in a 30? Haha what?

Keep in mind that platys are crazy poop machines. Make sure you either have a great filtration system or capable of cleaning more frequently.

Cornstar said:
Keep in mind that platys are crazy poop machines. Make sure you either have a great filtration system or capable of cleaning more frequently.

Agreed

Hey, I have a 25g tank with 3 zebra danios, 3 neon tetras, 2 African dwarf frogs, 1 hillstream loach and 4 platys. I'm looking at getting more platys, but don't want to overstock my tank. Any advice on if I can handle more and if so, how many? (two of my platys are previous fry and both turned out to be males, alongside another male platy, so I'm trying to up the female ratio)
Thanks!

What's your filtration and water change schedule?

Fish-wise you seem stocked. I think the hillstream loach may outgrow your tank. Four platies maxes out your bioload, they poop a lot. And I think your neon tetra and zebra danio schools need to max out to six each.

I change my filter: Pads Foam and carbon every 4 months and do a 30% water change every week

I have a couple of questions. Do you have a test kit to watch the water parameters? How long have you have all those fish, and how do they all seem to get along?

Bruins is correct that its not a good idea to change the filter out. Beneficial bacteria need the filter pad to live on. Those BB are what really keep your fish from getting ammonia poisoning from all the poop.

I also suggest getting more neons and danios (unless the tank isn't long enough for full-sized danios). They are both schooling fish, and you will probably see a greater variety of behavior if you have a full school of them. :)

Knowing the parameters is important for knowing how many more fish can fit in there. As long as your filter is good and the parameters hold up, then you should be fine to add more of the schoolers. Then if the parameters still hold up and everybody gets along, you could maybe get another platy or 2 IMO.

One of my platys I've had for just over 2 yrs, another I've had for about 5 months, and the other two are about 4 months old. Danios and neons I've had for about 3 months and the loach I got about 2 months ago.
I do have a water test kit and will test and post my parameters tomorrow.
My tank is a 25 tall, and my danios and neons have already grown quite a bit since I first got them.
The fish all get along fine and generally play along within their respective groups, but not with the other breeds- not to say they're always separated, they just don't chase around and play with the fish that aren't a similar breed.

Cool. I was just asking because sometimes you find a bossy individual and that limits the tankmates. :) Truthfully, I do not suggest danios in a 25tall tank, but they are your fish. I do still recommend getting more of each school before getting more platys.

Hmm would it be better to see if my LFS would exchange my danios for neons? Why shouldn't danios be kept in a 25tall?
Thanks

pH 7.6
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate between 30 and 40. How can I lower this? More water changes?

Danios shouldn't be kept in a 25 Gallon Tall because it restricts their swim room, which means not-so-happy fish. The minimum tank size is usually 20 Gallon Long for them, so they much more room.

Yep, you lower your nitrates with more water changes.

I agree with bruins. Danios are pretty active little fish. They need more horizontal swimming room than other schooling fish of similar size. If you are willing to trade your danios for neons, IMO neons would do better in the long run in that particular tank.
Yes, you lower the nitrates by doing more water changes. 40-60 nitrate is honestly a bit high.

Back
Top Bottom