260 gal tank build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

andresdeo

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hey, a friend of mine wants to upgrade his 100 gal and go for a 260 gal (1000 lit aprox). We went to some stores to get budgets, but there was a huge difference between having it made with 12 or 15 mm glass, is there a formula or a precise way of calculating the width of the glass?

Any other comments of specifications the tank should have?

Thanks guys thats exactly what I was looking for, guess I'll recomend he goes with the 16mm, better safe than sorry.

andresdeo said:
Thanks guys thats exactly what I was looking for, guess I'll recomend he goes with the 16mm, better safe than sorry.

Yeh id say, im building a 100 gallon and using 10-12mm , what were your quotes on 12mm anyway, im havin trouble finding glass on the east coast (south shore nova scotia)

I live in Peru (S. América) so prices will probably vary. In 12 mm for the wholw thing like 300 and in 15 mm around 600 US dollars.

andresdeo said:
I live in Peru (S. América) so prices will probably vary. In 12 mm for the wholw thing like 300 and in 15 mm around 600 US dollars.

You don't have to use 15mm for the whole thing. From what I've found out the side panels can be thinner, but of course the big panels will still be pricey :). You should do an estimate with a custom aquarium builder and see what they recommend. The other thing to check out is if the tank is only going to be seen from the front, is to do the other segments with wood.

Yes, probably just from the front I'd have to ask. So the side panels can be of a thinner glass, the table applies for each individual segment no the biggest in the tank.

hey, im the friend hes talking about, just joined the site. thanks for all the info. im definetly going for the safer way, might be more expensive but in the long run its worth it. thanks andres for posting. BTW, it was a succesful trip to the lfs, we found the only 2 asian aro's here in peru lol... not for sale though :(

jimboperu said:
hey, im the friend hes talking about, just joined the site. thanks for all the info. im definetly going for the safer way, might be more expensive but in the long run its worth it. thanks andres for posting. BTW, it was a succesful trip to the lfs, we found the only 2 asian aro's here in peru lol... not for sale though :(

Welcome Aboard!

Yep, a full glass tank would be sweet :dance:.

I do hope you guys will be doing a build thread for this monster tank and lots of pics please :D.

we will definetly post pics of the whole process. its going to take some time though cos i have to wait until my brother moves out lol. but definetly will keep the whole process recorded

Back
Top Bottom