28 gallon bowfront

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ontheairship

Aquarium Advice Newbie
After many many failed attempts at keeing a planted tank in my 55, I've decided to give it a shot in my new (used) 28 gallon bowfront. I think the smaller size of the tank and the fact that it will be in my bedroom will help me stay on top of things. I have a Penn Plax Cascade 200 filter that I was planning to use. Will that be overkill on the 28 if its rated for 50? If I do buy a new filter is canister better than HOB? Never really liked canister filters but I'm willing to get one if its better for the tank. Also have a 24" GLO light that came with the tank. I bought it as a saltwater tank, threw everything in my aquapod and decided to make this fresh. That being said, the bulbs in the fixture are Geissman 10,000k and some sort of actinic (not home right now). Will that be ok or should the bulbs be replaced? I plan on using Flourite for substrate and dosing if necessary with other Seachem products but will not have CO2. What changes should I make to compensate for that?

As far as fish go, I have 8 Pristella Tetras, 6 Three-Lined Cories, and was hoping to add a pair of Paradise Gouramis. Any reason I should or shouldn't go with these?

I'll wait on some feedback to decide on a plant list but any recommendations are welcome :thanks:

Just my two cents ..... From what it sounds like , the lighting that you have is a basic setup for a saltwater tank . The 10,000k's also can sometimes be to bright for freshwater fish causing ich to possibly occur. Again just from what i know and have seen . With the Seachem Flourish well EHHHHH . I have found that the aqueon brand plant fert does just as good if not better for half the price.

I stick with canister because you can adapt it wayyyyy easier then a HOB . GL Bro

After many many failed attempts at keeing a planted tank in my 55, I've decided to give it a shot in my new (used) 28 gallon bowfront. I think the smaller size of the tank and the fact that it will be in my bedroom will help me stay on top of things. I have a Penn Plax Cascade 200 filter that I was planning to use. Will that be overkill on the 28 if its rated for 50? If I do buy a new filter is canister better than HOB? Never really liked canister filters but I'm willing to get one if its better for the tank. Also have a 24" GLO light that came with the tank. I bought it as a saltwater tank, threw everything in my aquapod and decided to make this fresh. That being said, the bulbs in the fixture are Geissman 10,000k and some sort of actinic (not home right now). Will that be ok or should the bulbs be replaced? I plan on using Flourite for substrate and dosing if necessary with other Seachem products but will not have CO2. What changes should I make to compensate for that?

As far as fish go, I have 8 Pristella Tetras, 6 Three-Lined Cories, and was hoping to add a pair of Paradise Gouramis. Any reason I should or shouldn't go with these?

I'll wait on some feedback to decide on a plant list but any recommendations are welcome :thanks:

My recommendations, I'm not an expert.

A. HOB filter should be fine. Rated for 50 is GOOD. Flow is a good thing.
Canisters are great, but your tank isn't that big, so HOB should be fine.
I have an Eheim Ecco 2232 on my 10g. (talk about overkill)

B. Replace the bulbs. Actinic is useless. Swap for 6,500K. You can use the 10,000K but it has so much blue, it won't be as useful IMHO as a lower K value. It can and will grow plants, but near 6,500K is recommended most often . Plus most bulbs should be replaced yearly anyway.

C. Paradise Gouramis are a bit aggressive and large for this tank IMHO.
I would try Dwarf Gourami single male or true pair IF you can find a female.
More Corys. Add another 1 or 2. C. trilineatus are very social.

D. Flourite is good. I don't use CO2. As long as you aren't cranking HO T5s I think you can get away without CO2. High light has to have CO2.
You can dose Flourish Excel (Carbon booster) and Comprehensive, plus Root Tabs for Swords, or Crypts. I love my Crypts.

My low tech tank ( I can't post pics so here ya go)
Feeding time 10g Shrimp Jungle - YouTube

Just my two cents ..... From what it sounds like , the lighting that you have is a basic setup for a saltwater tank . The 10,000k's also can sometimes be to bright for freshwater fish causing ich to possibly occur. Again just from what i know and have seen . With the Seachem Flourish well EHHHHH . I have found that the aqueon brand plant fert does just as good if not better for half the price.

I stick with canister because you can adapt it wayyyyy easier then a HOB . GL Bro

FYI Ich is a PARASITE. Bright light has nothing to do with it. Stress can lower a fish's immune system which may make them more vulnerable to getting Ich, but the Ich has to be in the tank.

Kelvin is the color spectrum of the bulb. 10,000K is into the blue range. It's not Wattage. It is mostly used over Salt tanks, but it can be used for fresh.

HMMM.....Flourish:
Total Nitrogen
0.07%​
Available Phosphate ( P2O5)
0.01%​
Soluble Potash
0.37%​
Calcium (Ca)
0.14%​
Magnesium (Mg)
0.11%​
Sulfur (S)
0.2773%​
Boron (B)
0.009%​
Chlorine (Cl)
1.15%​
Cobalt (Co)
0.0004%​
Copper (Cu)
0.0001%​
Iron (Fe)
0.32%​
Manganese (Mn)
0.0118%​
Molybdenum (Mo)
0.0009%​
Sodium (Na)
0.13%​
Zinc (Zn)
0.0007​
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Aqueon:

Soluble Potash K2O..................................1%
Calcium ...................................................0.2%
Magnesium (Mg)........................................5%
0.03% Water Soluble Magnesium (Mg)
Sulfur (S)..............................................0.036%
0.036% Combined Sulfur (S)
Boron (B)............................................0.0006%
Iron (Fe)..................................................0.12%
0.12% Chelated Iron (Fe)
Manganese (Mn)............................0.00008%
0.00008% Chelated Manganese (Mn)
Molybdenum (Mo).............................0.0035%
Zinc (Zn)...........................................0.00012%
0.00012% Chelated Zinc (Zn)

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Will order some new bulbs tomorrow. Any brand better than another? I can get a good deal on Deep Blue. Flourite has been ordered and is on the way. Once I get that in I'll add some plants and then move the fish over/empty the 55.

I went ahead and jumped the gun and got the two paradise gourami plus 2 more tetras...They killed and ate a tetra in the bag on the way home so...BACK they go!

In the 55 right now I have 9 Pristella Tetras, 5 Cardinal tetras, the 6 Cories, 2 Clown Loaches and 2 Striped Pictus Cats. I had 17 Cardinals until I got the pictus cats. I've have the spotted ones before no problem, are the striped ones more aggressive/tetra eaters?! They will be going to the pet store along with the loaches. Would the tank be too crowded if I had two schools of tetras and the cories or should I just take the cardinals back as well? If I kept them I'd probably get 3-4 more

ontheairship said:
Will order some new bulbs tomorrow. Any brand better than another? I can get a good deal on Deep Blue. Flourite has been ordered and is on the way. Once I get that in I'll add some plants and then move the fish over/empty the 55.

I went ahead and jumped the gun and got the two paradise gourami plus 2 more tetras...They killed and ate a tetra in the bag on the way home so...BACK they go!

In the 55 right now I have 9 Pristella Tetras, 5 Cardinal tetras, the 6 Cories, 2 Clown Loaches and 2 Striped Pictus Cats. I had 17 Cardinals until I got the pictus cats. I've have the spotted ones before no problem, are the striped ones more aggressive/tetra eaters?! They will be going to the pet store along with the loaches. Would the tank be too crowded if I had two schools of tetras and the cories or should I just take the cardinals back as well? If I kept them I'd probably get 3-4 more

Sorry, but told you so on the Gouramis.

Pictus are wide mouth cats, they will eat ANY fish that fits in their mouth. Get rid of them. Unless you don't want Tetras.

Clown Loaches !!! Are you serious ??? Please research fish before you buy. Or do you have a 125g that we don't know about ???

Sorry for the outburst. IMHO. Keep both schools of Tetras and return the big fish. I love large groups of Tetras ;)

I have a 55 currently set up that I was going to upgrade to the biggest 6' tank I could after I moved. Well since I've moved, in the last year, I just can't keep this planted thing going so I decided to downgrade. The loaches were given to me and they are still small. They will be going to a good home and not in the 28 gallon.

ontheairship said:
I have a 55 currently set up that I was going to upgrade to the biggest 6' tank I could after I moved. Well since I've moved, in the last year, I just can't keep this planted thing going so I decided to downgrade. The loaches were given to me and they are still small. They will be going to a good home and not in the 28 gallon.

Sorry, I love Clown Loaches and I was cranky. Thank you, they will live much better, the larger the tank.

Any info on the "Striped Pictus" ?? I wonder if it's an African Catfish ??

Back
Top Bottom