29 gallon cycling. Angelfish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Franwjr

Aquarium Advice Regular
I am new to the forum and would love input on my next tank. I have a 29 gallon upright hexagon tank cycling. It has some live plants and a piece of artificial driftwood in it. I would love to give angelfish a try. Any advice would be great.

Attachments

• image-604137439.jpg
    image-604137439.jpg
    122 KB · Views: 151
I am new to the forum and would love input on my next tank. I have a 29 gallon upright hexagon tank cycling. It has some live plants and a piece of artificial driftwood in it. I would love to give angelfish a try. Any advice would be great.

Hi and welcome:welcome:! I love my angels, I have 2 in my 29. Opinions vary about this..some say a 29g is too small for 2 mature angels and as mine grow I'm inclined to agree. Also, it is important to keep in mind that mature angels can take over, especially in a smaller aquarium, bullying tankmates even to death. So I am planning for a larger aquarium for my angels in their future. Right now they're still only about half dollar sized and somewhat peaceful.
There are still quite a few other options. Just be sure to do your research and don't hesitate to post any questions you have.
How far along in your cycle are you?

Just starting the fish less cycle using an established filter from another aquarium. First dose of ammonia yesterday.

Half of your process is done using established media. It took me about 2 weeks to cycle my 10g using ammonia and a filter pad from my 29g. I dosed amm. up to 3ppm. I had issues with my ph dropping and stalling the cycle, but with some pwc's and patience it finally cycled.
Good luck and keep us posted with your progress.

You could have one angelfish, but I would suggest a larger aquarium for two. I have two angels in my 55 and they get along fine but this is not always the case. The angelfish are the centerpiece and they know it! Lol

Yes it is dracaena. This is my first real attempt at live plants. Hope everything works out. The tank should be fully cycled in a few more days then I think I'll get the fish in there.

IMO one angel is the max for a tank this size. Even then something a bit larger would be better. I have one of my mature angels in a 29 at the moment and I feel like he's pretty cramped.

Back
Top Bottom