29 gallon lighting

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bigfish93

Aquarium Advice Regular
I am setting up a 29 gallon tank and want to grow some dwarf hair grass in it to cover my substrate. Will this light be enough. I want to get the 24" double fixture. If it is not enough, could someone recommend a cheap open top alternative?

it is enough. however its a little small for your tank and it might not project enough light into the corners.

look for coralife, they make a t5ho setup that is 30".

thanks timwag. I am most likely going to go with the coralife fixture. I might buy it from dann.yy if I can find some money soon. otherwise I will just pay full price on doctor foster and smith. I am also going to get the all glass versa top since it cant be put over open water

you can put it over open water, the company just says that you cant to limit their liability. imagine if they said that you could and you dropped it in the water and hurt yourself. now-a-days in the "it's your fault and now i'm gonna sue you" world, that would be a problem.
so unless you have fish that are notorius jumpers i would skip the lid. i find them to be a pain in the butt, its a lot of maintanance to keep clean. and if its not clean it's blocking light.

really? I didn't know that. so the evaporation won't hurt the lights at all? you saved me $20 :)

no. they'll be fine. i dont have a lid on any of my tanks. and depending on how air tight you are able to make your lid you would really only be slowing down the evaporation

I just recently started running no lid with my coralife, I've noticed incredible difference in my plant growth since the light is just going directly into the water. And the 30 inch fits dead on my 29g. Also the evaporation issue hasn't effected me at all. it's been almost a week since my last PWC and it's only lost about a centimeter of water. I wouldn't worry about it.

make sure you use the legs with your coralife. you need something to stop it from falling in

Back
Top Bottom