29 gallon stocking ideas.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fish friend

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Looking for stocking ideas for my fresh water tropical 29 gallon aquarium. Open to all ideas. Keep in mind this my second tank ever.

8 neon tetras/cardinals/danios/schooling fish1 BN pleco and a centerpeice fish like a gourami ram rainbows

Do you have any experience with rams? I have my eyes on a pair of German blues that are gorgeous at the LFS.

A little there sensitive to water so make sure you acclimate them good and also have a clean tank other than that they should be good

fish friend said:
Do you have any experience with rams? I have my eyes on a pair of German blues that are gorgeous at the LFS.

Also a pair might get mildly aggresive

So right now I have 1 black neon tetra, 1 yoyo loach ,1 albino cory and 2 dwarf corys. Those are in the 29 g cycling right now. If I kept those in there with the suggested stock would that be too much or would I be okay?

You'd have to up the black neons to 6 and each Cory school to 6 but since you have. 2 diff species 4 of each I guess. You could add a centerpeice I suppose or some guppies/endless or platy

Also a BN might be ok save that for last

Just read some stuff saying rams aren't for beginners. I've kept a 10 g successfuly for a couple years. I think I'm prepared enough.

Ya just make sure your parameters ok and they'll be fine

Everything above is cool, but when you up your schools, a BN might be overkill. German blues and Bolivian rams aren't as difficult as you think. I would do one German and keep up with weekly changes. I have one in my 29, and he is awesome with the other fish!

I think he will be ok if he does waterchanges. You could also change to otos

So right now I have 1 black neon tetra, 1 yoyo loach ,1 albino cory and 2 dwarf corys. Those are in the 29 g cycling right now. If I kept those in there with the suggested stock would that be too much or would I be okay?

You already have 3 cory's and 1 loach, all of which are bottom dwellers. Rams will use mostly the lower level of the tank. With a 29g and the above mentioned 4 you would be best keeping 1 ram. Not that 2 wouldn't work in that size tank but two rams with the cory's and loach could cause trouble, especially if you would get a pair and they would decide to spawn. If you want activity in all areas of your water column then you need to use schooling fish, like your black neon, which does need to be in a school of at least 6, then an upper water level fish, like a dwarf gourami, hatchet fish, or even an angelfish (just one).

Back
Top Bottom